My first BIG s-c-r-a-t-c-h!

Last Updated:

1. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well it had to happen. I've been so careful never to put my evo in a pocket with keys or change or set it face down. I bought a screen guard but took it off because it got scuffed up so easily. Also I saw a video on how hard it is to scratch the evo's glass.

I felt safe and for weeks was. Until tonight.

I took out my phone to surf the web a bit and there IT was. A big 2 inch scratch top to bottom so deep my fingernail would catch in it if I swiped across it. I was like WTF??!

I have NO IDEA what could have caused this. As I said I am very careful. But somehow something very sharp was dragged across my phone very hard. Weird. Again, you would think I would have noticed something like that happening.

Ah well, it is a mystery and my pristine phone is no more. Cry a tear with me.

Advertisement
  2. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, but I think your case can be a fine argument for using screen protectors.

damewolf13 likes this.
  3. manny84

manny84 Well-Known Member

For the first 3 weeks I pretty much babied my phone to the point where I would wipe the screen with a microfiber cloth every 20 minutes (no exaggeration). In any case, I managed to nick the corner of the device by accident recently and now I don't care anymore. I've got scratches and nicks all over the device and I love the device just as much as the first day I got it, strangely enough.

4. mitchellvii

Yep, I would conclude from this experience that screen protectors are a good idea. I think if I put a non reflective frosted one on now you wont even see the scratch. Still, the more I use the phone, the more it becomes a good tool and not a toy and tools get scratches.

Ah well, I guess the thing that really bums me is that I honestly have NO IDEA how the heck it happened.

5. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Them magical techno midgets, man. I'm telling you.

6. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

The problem with the anti-glare ones is the way the screen feels on your finger tips when sliding. Ugh, I couldn't stand it and returned mine.

7. Droid_Genius

Droid_Genius Well-Known Member

I use the privacy screen guard, its kinda anti smudge so I like it lots, I also use the Seidio case so I dont scratch it. Im anal about all that scratching, wiping etc.

8. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Yah, I have a hard time looking past scratches on my screen.
    When I get a new phone, before I even take it home, I get a screen protector, and if possible, some kind of protective case.

Essex likes this.
  9. frankiepapa

frankiepapa Well-Known Member

the screen is just so smooth and beautiful that i just cant bring myself to put the screen cover on.....i have it but haven't been able to pull the trigger...this post may have put me over the edge.....

10. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

One of the things I hate most is scratches on my phone. So I bought the body glove case from the sprint store when I bought the phone. That wasn't enough because the screen was still exposed so I went back and bought this expensive screen protector that covers the whole phone, it came with some spray and a squeegee and you had to install it like a tint. Covers front, back sides, top and bottom. Took me an hour in the store to put it on, but the screen still looks great and this protector doesn't scratch and is crystal clear.

To top it off, I put my body glove case back on top of that so I have two layers of protection everywhere but the screen. It's a tight fit, but I rest assured that I did my best to protect the phone.

Did I mention I hate scratches on my phone?

11. ZNA03

ZNA03 Well-Known Member

oh come on people... it's a phone. Not like it's some 72 inch LED TV thats cost you $6000 or something crazy like that (i'm sure just like me 99% of the people on here paid $200 for it). Use it and abuse it if you ask me. I have silicone cases and thats it... mostly because I like to not have my phone fly all over my truck around corners.

Also I agree with frankiepapa... it looks to nice and feels so smooth navigating on it.

sagedil likes this.
  12. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

Can our screens be buffed or sanded like a video camera can to remove scratches? It might take a long time to do but it would be worth it

13. ZNA03

ZNA03 Well-Known Member

What happens if you scratch your screen protector? Do you take it off right away and put on another one like it's a flat tire? Can't operate without one? lol (i'm just poking fun none of this is ment to be serious)

14. CrucialTK

CrucialTK Active Member

InvisibleShield for the win

15. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

Are you sure its not a crack?

16. mitchellvii

Like I said, I can live with the scratch and really only see it if the ambient light hits it just so. What really eats at me is trying to figure out HOW I scratched it. At 4 pm there was no scratch and at 5 pm there was a huge scratch and during the whole time my phone was just sitting there untouched.

It is truly bizarre.

Why doesn't someone make a case that is like a bookcover with a front that clips closed over your phone screen? I would like a nice leather one like that.

And yes, it is SILLY how we baby such a relatively inexpensive device. As a matter of fact, I think this is probably the least expensive piece of tech I own.

17. mitchellvii

It could be a crack i suppose but dont think so. Havent dropped the phone.

18. CyberRube2

CyberRube2 Member

I bet its a crack from being in your pocket. You probably bent down in such a way to cause a lot of flex. This is where I think the Iphon had an edge, the glass was thicker. The EVO glass seems very thin.

19. 81_

81_ Banned

interesting question. but at the end of the day, its a whole lot cheaper to replace a screen protector vs. a the phones glass.

20. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

Probably sand -- a small grain of grit or something.

Some people say, if you use one of the wet-application screen protectors: zagg invisibleshield or phantomskinz, it will help conceal the scratch. People have strong opinions on how it affects the feeling and smoothness of the screen though.

21. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

I really hate the feel of the screen protectors and the affect they have on the smooth glass look of the Evo. I stopped using screen protectors years ago (through 4 different HTC phones) but as a trade-off, I started carrying my phones on a belt clip to prevent the screen from scratching inside the pocket.

22. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Ouch! Even if I wasn't a fan of screen protectors (but I am), I'd use them because portable devices take a lot of abuse and much of it is unknown or accidental despite great lengths I take to be careful.

I use the static ones with the Evos as I can live with replacing them periodically for the protection and lack of concern of water damage during installation.

23. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

So agreed. I have been naked since launch day and phone perfect. Will it be that way in 10 months when I get new phone? I don't know and really don't care. It is a phone. Have never loved a phone like this but it is still a phone.

24. Ilya

Ilya Well-Known Member

25. VSpike915

VSpike915 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. I was hesitant to put one on my EVO, but I'm glad I did. It protects against EVERYTHING. And if it gets scratched or "dented" (as they do when it would normally "scratch" the phone) Zagg will send you a replacement free of charge. Great product IMO