• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My first 'droid

Hello, all. I've carried Blackberry exclusively for the last 8 years and just took the plunge and got my first android phone, Samsung Note. So far I'm liking the phone but I've been trying to get everything set up,and there's already some crankiness that I thought you guys might be able to help with, either with the within the settings that I'm just not getting or with apps that can help;
  • I can see how to assign individual ringtones to contacts, but I can't see a way to do that for sms for each individual like my bberry did.
  • I'm a big podcast listener, but I can't seem to find a good app that will also search for new podcasts, etc. All I seem to find are players and install yourself.
  • A theme that is very clean and simple that lets me either shrink or eliminate the wide time and date bar across the top of my home screen.
Any suggestions all of you experienced Androids can give would be helpful, such as music players (lots of rock, lots of podcasts), what themes and personalization apps have worked best for you that are clean and uncluttered etc. I am loving the much larger screen, especially for the kindle app and reading news and such.

I can see how to assign individual ringtones to contacts, but I can't see a way to do that for sms for each individual like my bberry did.
Honestly, I don't think that is possible with the stock app. But you may want to try apps in the Play store. I use Light Flow:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflowlite

I'm a big podcast listener, but I can't seem to find a good app that will also search for new podcasts, etc. All I seem to find are players and install yourself.
For this and your music needs you can try Doubletwist. It has a desktop client that is similar to itunes. It can even import settings from itunes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones