• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My first great experience with NESoid on Incredible

nhindian

Jun 19, 2010
After trying to play Super Mario and Castlevania 3 on my Incredible (I actually almost beat the first level of Castlevania...), I decided to try a game I loved as a kid - Ice Hockey.

After 2 games where I got killed in one (something like 13-1) and one I almost one but let slip (7-3), I finally won a game.

I was USA versus Canada in a sort of Miracle on Ice repeat. I was down 2 goals, caught up, but found myself down 1 with a minute and a half left. They got called for icing and right off the faceoff I scored. Next faceoff they got the puck and thanks to some excellent defending I passed it to my fat guy, who rumbled and stumbled down the ice, got open, and shot it in to take the lead with 30 seconds left. I held them off for my first success with this emulator on the phone.

Next time I play I think I'll go with 3 fatties and 1 normal guy because the skinny guy can't do much with these controls.

Share your great experiences here!

After trying to play Super Mario and Castlevania 3 on my Incredible (I actually almost beat the first level of Castlevania...), I decided to try a game I loved as a kid - Ice Hockey.

After 2 games where I got killed in one (something like 13-1) and one I almost one but let slip (7-3), I finally won a game.

I was USA versus Canada in a sort of Miracle on Ice repeat. I was down 2 goals, caught up, but found myself down 1 with a minute and a half left. They got called for icing and right off the faceoff I scored. Next faceoff they got the puck and thanks to some excellent defending I passed it to my fat guy, who rumbled and stumbled down the ice, got open, and shot it in to take the lead with 30 seconds left. I held them off for my first success with this emulator on the phone.

Next time I play I think I'll go with 3 fatties and 1 normal guy because the skinny guy can't do much with these controls.

Share your great experiences here!
I am planning on getting this app when my Incredible comes in. I am just wondering, once you download the app, where do you get the roms from?

Upvote 0
I'm much more interested in your experience with using the touchscreen for control. How does it hold up with fast action games?
I have fairly big hands (though not fat, really) and I can't do it. The faster the game, the more difficult it is. I wish there was some microUSB controller which would work with this instead, but so far no luck.

Games like Pokemon, Chrono Trigger, Advanced Wars, Fire Emblam, etc. are all fine, but the faster the game, the more annoying it gets. Zombies Ate My Neighbors is nearly unplayable for me, at least past the first few levels (which are easy enough to forgive you if you're pressing the wrong button half the time).

Upvote 0
I'm much more interested in your experience with using the touchscreen for control. How does it hold up with fast action games?

Last night I was messing around with Zelda on Gameboid with my Desire.

I did have the emulators before (i have all 4 of them downloaded now: NESoid, Gensoid, GameBoid, and SNESoid) but after trying to play on them for about ten minutes I gave up because the combination of touchscreen + long fingernails was giving me difficulty. I couldn't move in a straight line on any of the games and i ended up dying way more than i was hoping.

Then I watched some youtube videos and saw different styles of virtual d-pads, and it only then occured to me that I could customise the d-pad.

So I changed the dpad size from medium to large, changed the transparency and button layout, and started using the physical buttons (back and search) as A and B (on gameboid). I ended up playing zelda for a couple of hours (past my bedtime) and it was great. Still not as receptive as it would have been on a physical controller, but pretty close. I survived a boss fight in an early dungeon, I don't know if that counts as being fast action.

Anyway, summary for the above wall of text: before giving up on the virtual controls, play around with the settings first and you might find a better experience!

Upvote 0
I am planning on getting this app when my Incredible comes in. I am just wondering, once you download the app, where do you get the roms from?

i have Snesoid on Desire and the best place i have found is coolrom.com ... you just go through their hundreds and hundreds of games and then download the ones you want. They come in zip format so stick them on your SD card and then when you load up Snesoid it asks you to locate your roms.

i created a folder on my SD called Snesoid so all the games and FFIII saves go there! :cool:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones