• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My first impressions....

syntrix

Android Expert
Nov 6, 2009
The South
First, Hi everyone, been lurking for a while, finally registered. I was on the fence to even go look at the droid today. I finally got to a best buy and saw it in person.

The best buy dummy has like an extra pound of weight on it for the "security device", not the best way to put one out there. It's actually very nice in real format.

I'm an ex iphone owner, and have done various winmo devices over time, including the TP2 and att pure.

Overall, this droid is FAST. Rendering of pages in the browser are such a joy! Part of it is probably the fact that in my area ATT 3G fails in my area, and Verizon is probably the best.

Screen is very crisp, format is excellent. I'm downloaded a few apps, and have multitasking no problem with chat clients and poking around the apps and settings.

I've got a few gigs of music uploading right now. It wasn't intuitive, but you just make a new folder and dump your mp3's there.

There's no regrets so far, this thing is certainly a killer for most modern technology devices on the market, yay! And I love how it asks for your gmail account on first boot, it synced up all my contacts and calendar, and my source is my work's outlook 2000.

I can't believe the negative press on this device so far, I have not experienced any problems like some online mag, that might start with "pc" has experienced, but most of their writers have an iphone, so they are already biased.

Happy droiding all!

I see your enjoying your new droid :D

Is their anything that really impresses you on this beauty? :)

Speed of loading apps.

Youtube rocks, but you have to click HD :)

The interface is very very nice.

And the usual social integration rocks over the winmo ones!

And #1.... GOOGLE VOICE INTEGRATION

I love this thing. Screen is big enough that you really don't need to use the keyboard, but it's nice to have when entering very tech stuff like passwords, etc.

It's just so easy to use! It's a little different but you get the hang of it and love it very fast!

Upvote 0
I played with one today at the VZW store and I couldn't believe how fast it was. Opening apps and browsing was unreal. The screen was absolutely gorgeous. I was playing around with google maps and it was like I was on my pc. I ordered one today and currently have a Storm 2. I'm gonna give both 30days and then make my decision.

Upvote 0
do you have to use a gmail account at all..can this step be bypassed so it doesnt bother you about it..i have one right now but i dont want it linked up yet if i do it i want to do it on my own time

Well gmail is the first option asked on startup, and there's a new signup option!

I played with one today at the VZW store and I couldn't believe how fast it was. Opening apps and browsing was unreal. The screen was absolutely gorgeous. I was playing around with google maps and it was like I was on my pc. I ordered one today and currently have a Storm 2. I'm gonna give both 30days and then make my decision.

Let us know what you decide and why! Droid can't be for everyone, but I'm very impressed so far. Got last.fm going now, it remembered my settings, yay!

Upvote 0
Well gmail is the first option asked on startup, and there's a new signup option!

Let us know what you decide and why! Droid can't be for everyone, but I'm very impressed so far. Got last.fm going now, it remembered my settings, yay!

Will do. I wanted the ihpone but the att network made my choice clear. I get VZW everywhere I go but the phone choices are limited. The storm 1 filled the void for a bit and the storm 2 was a great improvement. But it left me wanting more. After playing with the Droid today I was like finally. Ill definitely put it through its paces when I get it.

Upvote 0
Will do. I wanted the ihpone but the att network made my choice clear. I get VZW everywhere I go but the phone choices are limited. The storm 1 filled the void for a bit and the storm 2 was a great improvement. But it left me wanting more. After playing with the Droid today I was like finally. Ill definitely put it through its paces when I get it.

I was the same re: the iphone and the at and t. I have family in Canada and as much as I wanted the iphone, the att plan wasn't even close so I stuck with Verizon and got the Voyager. It was a neat phone, but the internet was virtually useless with how slow it was. The keyboard was great though and texting was easy so it served it's purpose.

I didn't even know about the Droid until last week and I wasn't in a big hurry to get it, but I thought I would check it out today--well, it took about 5 minutes and I got one haha.

It is really slick and the 3G is fast and it seems to be fairly adaptable for what I am going to need. I have a lot to learn on it but it is really fun learning!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones