• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My First Issue - Unresponsive Buttons

heyeaglefn

Android Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2010
Has anyone run into the issue where your Home, Menu, Back and Search buttons become completely unresponsive?

It happened for about 5 minutes to me yesterday, and after 3 reboots they just started to work.

Now today, it has been 20 minutes, I did 3 reboots, still nothing, pulled the battery out and they are now working.

They were lighting up ok, just not responsive at all on the screen.

Do you think I should call Verizon for a replacement because it looks like a hardware issue, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

I've had more issues with this since I installed my InvisibleShield. Is it just the buttons? No issues with the screen? There's a thread on here somewhere about unresponsive screens when in a car charger, and one suggested culprit was ground. It could also be static electricity. If it happens again, try to ground yourself first (easy way is to touch the screw on an electrical outlet, this might give you a slight shock, but nothing more than rubbing your feet on the carpet and touching someone) and see if that helps. I would be interested to hear if this helps at all.

Reactions: heyeaglefn
Upvote 0
I just have a Verizon Screen Protector on for now, but that has been on since day one. Next time it happens I will try to ground myself, just weird that it seems that rebooting did not fix but pulling battery out did.

No problem with the screen, could still navigate around but just could not use those four buttons.

Upvote 0
I just have a Verizon Screen Protector on for now, but that has been on since day one. Next time it happens I will try to ground myself, just weird that it seems that rebooting did not fix but pulling battery out did.

No problem with the screen, could still navigate around but just could not use those four buttons.

What I noticed after putting on the screen protector is that somehow my touch sensor gets activated, causing weird issues. I'm not sure if it's a result of the liquid solution getting in there mucking things up, or dirt, or static. I also noticed that the menu buttons are slightly less responsive than they were before the protector, but the Verizon one doesn't cover them up, does it?

Upvote 0
What I noticed after putting on the screen protector is that somehow my touch sensor gets activated, causing weird issues. I'm not sure if it's a result of the liquid solution getting in there mucking things up, or dirt, or static. I also noticed that the menu buttons are slightly less responsive than they were before the protector, but the Verizon one doesn't cover them up, does it?

No, my buttons are not covered. I haven't had the problem yet today...knock on wood.

Upvote 0
It is happening again right now, reboot does not fix it, trying to get rid of any static energy, not working.

Only fix is to pull the battery. I am probably going to go to Verizon after work with it not working and try to swap out phones as I have to believe this is a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
My phone has been doing this too and after removing the cover and doing battery pulls seemed to bandaid the problem, now nothing helps and the keys are completly unresponsive. anyone have a fix to this or is it merely just a hardware malfunction. Someone save my phone before i throw it against my wall. Thx. :D

Upvote 0
My phone has been doing this too and after removing the cover and doing battery pulls seemed to bandaid the problem, now nothing helps and the keys are completly unresponsive. anyone have a fix to this or is it merely just a hardware malfunction. Someone save my phone before i throw it against my wall. Thx. :D

I am getting a new one sent to me Monday or Tuesday, between this issue and some keys on my keyboard not responding they advised I get a different one.

Even did a factory reset and still not working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones