• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My First Month with Simple Mobile.

7Priest7

Before purchasing simple mobile,
I read A LOT of conflicting information.

Many people claiming they were being throttled or kicked off after 5GB.

Based off my first month I would say those statements are highly inaccurate.

In my first month I used ~358.76GB of data, The number is probably about 50GB higher as I tried to put a custom ROM on my phone a few times and ended up restoring.

At no point did I get any text/email telling me to stop.
Nor did I get throttled/kicked from the network.

Almost all of the data was from tethering.
I used VPN for like the first 10 days but I got tired of how much slower VPN is.

After which I changed my genral.useragent.override string to "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/21.0" on firefox.
That string is what my Android Firefox appears as when it is using "Request Desktop Site"

I use built in wifi tether for all torrenting, I run PeerBlock(Which blocks alot of T-Mobile anti-p2p.)
When not torrenting I use PDANet with Level 1 tether usage Hiding.

It may be important to note: I live in a rural area where cell networks do not typically receive heavy urban type usage.
Also, Simple Mobile is not sold locally.

Anyhow I hope some of this information may help some people.

Second month, After roughly 5GB of data in ~2 days they removed my 4G net.

I filed a complaint with FCC at File Complaint | FCC.gov

I advise anybody that loses service due to these scam artists to file a complaint as well.

They legally cannot advertise "Unlimited 4G with no caps and no throttling" then arbitrarily cap people for "excessive usage."
It is illegal to make claims and not fulfill the commitments that those claims entail.

Just like if I was hired to make a website and I was paid in advance it would be illegal for me to stop and say "you ask for too much."

Upvote 0
Second month, After roughly 5GB of data in ~2 days they removed my 4G net.

I filed a complaint with FCC at File Complaint | FCC.gov

I advise anybody that loses service due to these scam artists to file a complaint as well.

They legally cannot advertise "Unlimited 4G with no caps and no throttling" then arbitrarily cap people for "excessive usage."
It is illegal to make claims and not fulfill the commitments that those claims entail.

Just like if I was hired to make a website and I was paid in advance it would be illegal for me to stop and say "you ask for too much."

I expect that the FCC will do nothing. The problem is, they do state in their fine print that "unlimited is not unreasonable usage" -- and most people would agree that 350 GB of data on a mobile device is unreasonable. Additionally, there should be a clause in the Terms of Service against tethering, as well as many other of the things you likely had to do to get 350 GB of data usage in a month, or even 5 GB in two days. And their Terms of Service does state, "A customer engaged in unauthorized uses may have his/her Service throttled and/or terminated."

Basically, they are legally covered for throttling your service and, I trust they have given notice now, to terminate your service if you continue using large amounts of data.

Upvote 0
I expect that the FCC will do nothing. The problem is, they do state in their fine print that "unlimited is not unreasonable usage" -- and most people would agree that 350 GB of data on a mobile device is unreasonable. Additionally, there should be a clause in the Terms of Service against tethering, as well as many other of the things you likely had to do to get 350 GB of data usage in a month, or even 5 GB in two days. And their Terms of Service does state, "A customer engaged in unauthorized uses may have his/her Service throttled and/or terminated."

Basically, they are legally covered for throttling your service and, I trust they have given notice now, to terminate your service if you continue using large amounts of data.

You are right and wrong at the same time.

ambiguity legal definition of ambiguity. ambiguity synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
"Courts frequently interpret an ambiguous contract term against the interests of the party who prepared the contract and created the ambiguity. This is common in cases of adhesion contracts and insurance contracts. A drafter of a document should not benefit at the expense of an innocent party because the drafter was careless in drafting the agreement."

By failing to define the term "excessive" they fall under this legal definition.
Simple Mobile being the creators of said contract or "terms of service" if you prefer.
Any just and fair court within the U.S. would rule against Simple Mobile.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: After filing the claim with F.C.C. I recieved a voicemail that transcribes to
Good Morning this message for [MY NAME HERE], I'm calling from. tracFone wireless Corporate Office. In regards to the complaint you filed, with the F. C. C. Regarding Simple Mobile. Please give me a call back, 1(800) 876-5753 extension 6045. Thank you.
I received a few emails that were similar to that voice-mail, I created a filter and in doing so deleted them.
Today when I picked up my Physical Mail I recieved a notice for certified mail from tracfone(Which I will never be signing for.)

You would think if customer satisfaction was SOOO Important to them they would've worked with me BEFORE I filed my complaint.

EDIT: Yes, That transcription is correct. The girl had broken English(Nice accent but grammatically incorrect)
Also, I did call that number, It is a customer retention line for those who have filed F.C.C. complaints.
If you file a F.C.C. complaint for any TracFone entities the number they will harass you from is 13057156500. Use google voice or any android call blocker to preemptively block that number.

Also make a GMail filter like this.
Matches: from: (@tracfone.com)
Do this: Skip Inbox, Delete it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones