my first rant. i'll try to make it a good one

Last Updated:

1. jleejordan

jleejordan Banned This Topic's Starter

i'll do this in sections. feel free to correct my spelling and grammar. i know it's fun when i do it to other people.

#1. just read a thing about the lackluster droid screen.

MOTO gives straight advice on smartphone touchscreen quality (video) -- Engadget

i'm no tech whiz, but doesn't this test mean that the droid's screen is MORE accurate? it seems to me that the screen doesn't "average" as much, but the "quality" imho is still better than any other phone i've put my hands on. (more on that later). the "stair-step" is not a stair-step. it's just a wavy line. i hear that the guys at engadet cry like babies whenever some one pees in the iphone-eos, but really? has anyone really complained about this "issue" they say it affects the keyboard. i have absolutely no problems with my droid's virtual keyboard. i don't even go into landscape. i just go caveman , meat-n-taters, portrait one finger. actually, i like to TALK on my phone, so i might be the wrong person to listen to on this one, but i hardly make a mistake, and when i do, the auto-correct saves me.

#2. more screen, less "techy". i love comparing stats and all, but when i think of screen 3 things come to mind. first is how good it looks. i think we all know the score here. the droid on the brightest setting is crazy awesome. end of story. second is response. the droid lacks just a bit here, but it might be more of a UI issue. the iphone is much smoother, but it should be considering you can't really change layout. third is the most important to me. durability !!!! does anyone enjoy using a screen protector? what a shame (and sham) that the very first thing most people buy when they get a brand new $500 phone is a clear sticker that makes it less responsive and less pleasing to touch. the droid is the only phone makes this archaic practice futile. i have done the ol' key test, and NOT A SCRATCH !!!!!

1. display - 10
    2. response - 7
    3. durability -10

screen done..

#3. apps / market

okay, can we please have the option of sorting these apps by rating?...at least. what a cluster f***. if i skip a couple of days, i'm totally lost. i don't want to scroll through 10,000 joke, rb clips, and soundboard apps before i get to something worth my time. there are entire girly apps dedicated to 1 girl that no one has heard of, then the same dev makes 20 different ones! uhhhh, consolidate? here are some categories, or at least sub-categories that SHOULD be options: galleries, THEMES, rb clips, soundboards, clocks, .... i mean, how many of these things do we need in the very few categories we actually have? it's a flood of stupid for a non-stupid platform. of coarse we also need a "replacement" category for apps like media player, gallery, browser, etc etc. there should also be a website dedicated to listing EVERY app with all the info you could need with the option of sending a link to your phone. i find it much easier to browse on a pc.

about the apps themselves .... i do not mind being a "product tester" for free apps, but i'm tired of the HORRIBLE apps that have absolutely no redeeming value. why do it? if you know it sucks, leave it off the market. if there are 100 of the same app, and they all do it better, leave yours off the market. here's another idea .... if there are 100 of anything ... do something else. we only need 1 clock at a time.

i could bitch about apps all day, but i won't.

#4. droid vs iphone.

ughhh. the iphone performs better. we can all cry about that if we want. it can unlock your car and turn on your christmas tree lights. it scrolls through 100,000 pics really fast, but i can TALK on the droid .... indoors .... in maryville tn. my house is an at&t black hole, and there's an at&t tower about half a mile away. i live on the top of a hill. ?????? the only time i loose a phone call is when the other person is on an iphone. i won't go into all the other stuff that makes the droid leaps and bounds better, because it's old news. however, i think it's LUDICROUS that android and winmo think it's better to dish out 100 new phones a month instead of focusing on 1 or 2 AWESOME phones. i thought the droid would be a flagship for more than a month and a half .... but i was wrong. even though i love the droid, and it is supposed to benchmark as good as the nexus, i would rather have a phone that's half the weight. this thing is a brick ... an awesome one, but you could build a castle with em. that's the thing that apple keeps beating the pants off everyone with. they have 1 phone that they focus on. they make it sparkle. why can't we get that?

i think i'm done for now. a small recap ....

1. the screen is awesome. don't let anyone tell you otherwise
    2. the app market needs a serious update. IT NEEDS MORE WAYS TO SORT AND ORGANIZE !!!!!
    3. screw the iphone. you don't need to out-awesome it. you did not invent it or the droid. you're not your f***** khakis!!!
    4. the only thing we really have to bitch about this phone is that google isn't updating the balls out of this thing.

Advertisement
  2. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said. nice Fight Club quote lol thats my fave movie ever. Well put and easy to read. You spelt course wrong though haha ;)

3. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

Good rant. I just scanned it but I agree with you on a few things. :)

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Great post. I'm very much in agreement with a lot of what you said. Would read again :)

5. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Good points -- everything +1\
    BTW... "the only time i loose a phone"
    "loose" only needs one "o" in this context.
    Didn't catch it until I went back and read the whole thing a second time...
    Really great rant!

6. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Well-Known Member

me too lol

7. sohc sti

sohc sti Well-Known Member

Awesome post. Wtf are they waiting for by not updating the marketplace? It should have been done after the first 100 apps......

8. jleejordan

thanks everyone......

... and yes, i spell course wrong almost every time. coarse ... course ...

now that you pointed it out, i might not look like such a douche next time. ha ha.

9. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

you are not your Droid.. yeah I dare say it. :D

10. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

haha +1

11. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

A variable left out in the test (in the summary) was the application software. I recognize the app he used for the Droid, but unless he uses the same app for all three phones, his test is seriously flawed.
    That may not discount his whole spiel, but the tester's partiality to the iPhone seemed pretty obvious to me.

The Droid is the phone to beat. We'll be getting improvements via software updates while they are all stuck with their old, limited phones. That's enough to piss off anyone who's spent 500 bucks on an iPhone. ;)

12. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Tranquilizers. Try them. :p

13. jleejordan

dang. i missed the loose/lose thing first time around too. i need to invite people to correct my spelling/grammar more often. these are simple things that i'm screwing up.

@needsdecaf ... it's funny you mention that ... considering your name.

i should take a little time to address a few other things that i love about the droid so that i don't get pegged as a hater.

love multi app capability. in the car i usually run nav,pandora, and a slideshow or andwobble simultaneously. i realize the last 2 aren't "safe" but it's usually for a passenger. if you want a really childish, lude, funny app, try andwobble. is there another phone that can accomplish this with great results???? iphone can't. :(....

just in case you never tried it, you can still talk hands-free while plugged into the car stereo with an aux cable. it works great, the sound quality isn't bad, and i never have to repeat myself or talk loudly. my iphone buddies can't believe it doesn't go crazy with reverb (echo) from the car speakers. the crazy thing is that i used to just lay the phone on my lap .... RIGHT NEXT TO THE SPEAKER !!!! still worked great. got a car mount now so it's eye level.

this is a big one for me ... NO SYNC SOFTWARE NEEDED!!!!! my wife's env touch does this also, but i just love that it basically becomes a hard drive when mounted. that's just tits. it makes it so freakin easy to move stuff around. it's also a lifesaver for my band. i can just toss new song ideas from my lil home studio onto the phone in a few seconds, take it to practice, toss it on the band pc. no wasted cds. also you can run slide shows on the pc straight from the phone. no copy/paste required. i can't wait till someone figures out how to use the usb for a tv out.

i mentioned this in another thread, but it deserves repeating. the sound quality of this phone is awesome. i'm talking about music files. the stock player running into a system with with volume 1 notch down sounds better than the exact same mp3 played by an iphone on full volume. it's fuller, thicker, and louder. it's even better than my wife's env touch which has dolby sound!!!!! i don't think enough people know how much better it really is. i mean, the iphone's big selling point, when it first hit the market, was that it was an ipod that you could make calls with. the droid smokes that thing on both fronts!!! we have a better phone, and a better sounding music device.

pppppppp (the sound of tired lips flapping after a deep breath)

how many of you just tried to make that sound?????

14. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

A good rant? I don't get it..

15. jleejordan

that's either really smart and funny .... or just lucky smart and you don't realize it. either, it's funny.

16. anderson.mcdaniel

anderson.mcdaniel Active Member

I agree with everything. Pretty good rant:) the reason there is no flagship phone is probably the same reason why its so much better than iphone. Its the os that we're talking about, not the os/hardware lockdown combo. Which android phone is the best? Who knows, the beauty is that it's flexible.

17. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

This is a really good point, and one that I think the media has missed. They're always looking for THE iPhone killer. But what they have is MANY iPhone killers in their midst already.