My Fix For Constant Contact SyncingGeneral

Last Updated:

1. briman4031

briman4031 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I know others have had this issue before, but recently I started having the constant syncing issue that was killing my battery. I did the usual, turned off syncing, removed Facebook for HTC, cleared contact storage in applications. Same problems. Tried same process except cleared Dalvik Cache. Seemed to have worked, but same problems. Then I found that the issue was not so much the phone as it was my Google contacts. I logged into contacts online at Google.com/Contacts and I proceeded to merge all of my duplicate contacts. I edited my whole contact book, and deleted ones I didn't want. I actually not only deleted/merged 700 duplicates, I also merged duplicates from FB to Google. i.e., Listed as Mom / Dad, etc. which matched up with the actual FB account, thus reducing the contacts by another 100. I exported my contacts to my computer in .CSV format for future issues. Then I went in and repreated the process on my phone.

1. Turn off all syncing in Accounts & Sync
    2. Removed FB for HTC Account
    3. Cleared storage in Contact Storage under Applications
    4. Rebooted into recovery and cleared Dalvik Cache
    5. Rebooted phone and turned Google Contact syncing on. Waited for completion of sync.
    6. Added FB for HTC account back and synced.

Wallah! All of the contacts are in correctly with pics, and I'm not constantly syncing anymore.

Just thought I'd add this for any of you struggling for days like me. I think the issue was more Google and less phone.

Advertisement
  2. briman4031

Okay,
    So it started doing it again. The problem is def. with Google. It's started to duplicate all of my contacts again.

3. briman4031

So, I repeated the cleaning out process and this time, I turned auto sync off for Google. I downloaded Lookout and setup autosync contacts for it. This is actually a preferred way to go because you can actually go back to certain dates if needed, somewhat like the apple time machine or windows restore feature. No problems anymore!

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Way to go on working through it, briman.

Good of you to post as you were going along. [​IMG]