• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Hero survived the washing machine

badmofo

Lurker
Nov 26, 2009
Hi All,

I thought I would let you know how my Hero survived the washing machine. The waranty is obviously invalidated and there are a few scratches to the paintwork on the top corners where it bounced against the drum but everything is working fine including battery and SD card.

The washing machine was about 20 minutes into the cycle when I realised my mistake, I turned the machine off and grabbed the soaking Hero. The back, memory card, sim card were immediately removed and all were placed on a radiator. I found that condensation was forming in various places under the Hero's display so it was turned and put in numerous positions over the next few days until the condensation had gone. I left everything on the radiator for the next 5 days (hero face down) and finally re-assmebled the device, plugged it in and it's alive :)

I have read other methods for drying a water damaged phone on the interweb including rice and silica gel, I am not saying that this method is better than any other but drying on the radiator worked for me.

My phone was not insured so fortunately this has not turned into the costly mistake I had first feared.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones