My high-end super phone is crawling

Last Updated:

1. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK time for my complaints :)

I am a big fan of Android and the Captivate. I've been addicted since day one.

That said, I'm noticing a lot of lag for a "high end" phone with such high specs. I have two news widgets, one weather, and a live wallpaper, and that's it. But I notice sometimes I push the power button and nothing happens for a while. I swipe the lock screen and it freezes for a second. Things take time to happen on this phone. I'm not even running my favorite launcher (Launcher Pro) because when I run it, the wallpaper would freeze for a few seconds at certain times.

When I remove the the widgets and use a static wallpaper, things vastly improve. But then it's as plain and boring as an iPhone!

The widgets I'm running: Battery Indicator, Weather Bug, Engadget, News Buzz.

The wallpaper is the galaxy live wallpaper that comes with the phone.

I mean I customize the phone with a couple of widgets and a live wallpaper and I try to show it to someone, and instead of awing and shocking them with its brilliance, it turns into a crappy PowerPoint slideshow.

Advertisement
  2. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

it depends on how comfortable you are with rooting but i really think ryan lagfix on the android market is really good to speed up phone with relative ease

3. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Things should speed up a tad when frozen yogurt comes out.

4. Gipson

Gipson Well-Known Member

Look for One click lag fix on the market
    Went thru the same issue and this worked like a beaut.

5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Methinks all these "lagfixers" are going to find themselves in a world of hurt once the first Captivate update gets pushed out... especially Froyo.

6. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

That's why I leave my captivate stock. It's blazing fast compared to an iphone 3G jailbroken!

7. jflexe99

jflexe99 Well-Known Member

Me knows you can undo lagfix.... And unroot. So i think we will be fine...

8. ZDroid1

Holy crap! I just did the one click fix. It is now super fast like I've never seen it before!

I did get scared for a bit there because after applying the lag fix part, it said it was going to reboot, and it shut down and nothing happened. I had to then manually restart and reinstall update.zip to make it work.

Now this speed gain could be an artifact of rebooting the phone, so we'll see. Even the Swype keyboard its lightening fast.

Samsung: You suck. If it can be done, you should have done it.

9. ZDroid1

Why, is the Samsung update not going to work on rooted phones? Or is it going to break them somehow?

The one click fix says it's all reversible. But what if I start removing apps? (I plan on not removing any AT&t apps just to make sure, but how can one identify them?)

10. vapor311

vapor311 Well-Known Member

i wouldnt worry to much, the one click lag fix app, has a remove tool for the lag fix, root and his tools. If need be you can pull all off and then do the froyo update, that is WHEN it arrives.

11. Extract0r

Extract0r Well-Known Member

12. TDQuiksilver

TDQuiksilver Well-Known Member

The fastest hardware in the world cannot be efficient if the software it's running is poorly coded. Perhaps your apps are at fault?

13. Gipson

Gipson Well-Known Member

Question: when you reflash to stock, do you lose all existing6 saved data? Everything (music, contacts, etc) or just app/saved data?

14. locsplitter

locsplitter Active Member

i see what you did there

15. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member

I'm going to wait until the official update before I start messing around with the phone. The good news is that the community seems to be finding great ways to exploit the hardware to it's full potential.

My only concern is that the Froyo update is for Android, not for the Captivate. So it's going to address overall Android issues, not ones inherent to this phone. I realize that it will be tailored for this phone, and MAY include fixes to known problems, but for the most part it's just going to open the phone up a bit, expand the web capabilities, and ease some of the burden off the hardware for running the os. All great things. And hopefully it will make the experience much more enjoyable. But I have doubts that it's going to be the end-all fix-all. I think that a lot of people will be let down once they've rebooted into the new system and still experience anything less than perfection.

16. jflexe99

jflexe99 Well-Known Member

You can always save all them and put them on your desktop if your worried and reinstall them later... Contacts are NO problem whatsoever!

17. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

I think you can also use titanium to back up apps and app data, if you are worried about losing everything it will copy them to sd card and then you can restore it

18. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Bingo. Which makes all the casual recommendations to just do it like it was some simple additional step rather dishonest. Most people are not going to want to completely erase their phone every time there's an update because it won't apply to their riced-up phone. And Titanium Backup requires root itself, is not free, and has its own learning curve.

I have to wonder what percentage of people applying one of the dozen or so different "lag fixes" truly understand what they are doing to their phone. If these things always uninstalled cleanly we wouldn't see so many threads with people having trouble doing so, or having weird issues afterwards that aren't experienced by those not mucking with the fundamental filesystem or adding complex abstraction layers.