• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My House, Verizon Signal, Fail.

Haywire

Android Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2009
So.. I've had my Eris now for about a day and half. Love it.

One problem. Soon as I get home, I loose pretty much any signal on my phone. My Wifi connected once, but now thats not connecting either. I'm trying to re-establish that connection.

Is there a way to toggle between the 3G and 1x signals on our end, too see if maybe i can get signal that way?

My internet still works, but if I want to make any calls while here... I don't think I'll have much luck.

I've got about 1 bar of 3g here.

I'm hoping theres something I can do because I love the phone thus far..

Like myself, you just happen to be too far from the tower to get a decent 1x signal. 1x carries all voice calls and texting while everything else can run through either 1x at a slower speed or through EVDO (3G). 3G tends to make an appearance at my home while 1x is a lost cause. My suggestion, if you want to keep Verizon, is to go with a Network Extender which is sold by Verizon. It's $150 and you hook it to your high speed internet. It pretty much becomes a mini cell tower so that you get full 1x coverage throughout your home and into your yard. You pay the one time fee and that's it and it doesn't extend your contract. It does suck to pay THEM to get cell coverage but at my house, no carrier works more than the other so it was either pay or go without service. Consequently, I was able to cut off my home phone.

Upvote 0
I think this should be cheaper. They get enough money from me every month as it is now. :mad::mad::mad:

It should be free! I'd be fine if they say I have to give it back when I'm finished because it's their property but anyway, I've been up that tree. I heard from some T-Mobile customers that they were getting this box at a discounted rate if they argued enough about lack of coverage in their area. Didn't work for me with Verizon but maybe they are more lenient now that it's been out for a year. I have no idea. My justification was that I paid Vonage $35 (taxes included) per month for service and when I cut them, I got a significant savings even after buying the box.

Upvote 0
yes, thats what i tried to do. Spend more money for something that should work? I dont make that many calls.. espically when I'm home but its just a little disappointing that i can barely do it. When you say hook up to my internet, do you mean it connects via hardware cable or is like a wireless network type of deal?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones