• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Htc Desire is deleting my text messages!

hey guys,

i work in IT and just experienced the force close crash and wiped all my txt's.
Not Happy. I tried the solutions in this thread and others with no success.

Now, on average, the size of a txt message is usually around 1-2 kb.
When i go into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Running tab> and go down to Messages. It says Data is 832KB. Judging by this i beleive the txt data is still there, just will not display. I don't want to clear data, and unfortunetly the Move to SD card option is greayed out... I have not tried the CLear cache option yet for the messages app. But just thought id share this with people that have wiped txt to see if the data is still there.

Has everyone given up and are just waiting for the HTX latest realease/fix?
Cheers

Upvote 0
HTC are bloody liars.

I called them earlier to raise this, just happened to me after I received a text from a friend, DHD crashed and got a force-close error message my entire history of 400+ texts is gone.

The call with HTC (who answered on the 2nd ring)

- The person I spoke to says he has only ever heard of this happening once
- There have not been sufficient calls / mails logged on the same issue for it to be logged as an escalation point
- HTC Sense website has "been worked on for the last few months, some users have never had full functionality, others only limited"

Leads me to agree with others that suspect its Sense related.....in any case apparently nobody is raising this despite me reading them internet posts to the contrary.

Their response? "You have to appreciate we can google all day ourselves, if people are not calling/emailing to raise the issue so we can ask them questions and log tickets, we will never know when something is a major issue"

I argued the toss that we are not stupid enough to complain about something but not call/email, or we have mailed but got no response, "I cant comment on specific cases" was the riveting response.

In summary? They know about it, Sense hasn't worked for donkeys yet they're happy with their PR line of "this is a new issue" as they're busy with the glossy advertising and eating into the smartphone market share.

As I told them, idiots don't buy Android smartphones, sadly it appears they think we're stupid.

One interesting thing - I did catch him out when he said "to the best of our knowlege this only happens once" to which I enquired how he could know this if he could only "just vaguely" recollect someone else calling about it a few months ago. "How do you know that?" I asked, to which he deftfully skirted the question.

They know all about it :(

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone ever did find a fix for this? My phone (A Desire HD on Vodaphone UK) only arrived on Friday and only got connected late Saturday.

It's now Sunday morning and it seems all my messages (imported as part of the initial setup of the phone on Saturday) have indeed disappeared too.. Not a good start!

As you can imagine, i've not got much installed yet, other than the crap Vodaphone lumber you with. I've now disabled my brand new HTCSense.com account (which is plain false advertising as it doesn't work!) in the hope it won't do it again.

Upvote 0
HTC are very reluctant to admit that there is an issue.. I have had this happen to me twice now, the second of which was this morning.

I have had my phone less than a month and it frustrates me that this could happen once let alone again in such a short time.

So far I have found the best solution to be an app called 'backup to gmail.' I downloaded the paid version after the first time this incident occurred and I was able to retrieve most of the texts I had lost. Unfortunately none of the texts that I transferred from my old phone were recovered, but everything else since then was.

While this wont stop the problem occurring it has given me a little faith that if it does happen again I wont lose everything.

Upvote 0
This just happened to me for the second time. Called HTC - it's apparently a problem between android and htc with the htc wrapper. They are aware, they are working on it, they had no date for when it might be resolved, and the text messages are lost forever. It has nothing to do with the HTCSense application (although, confusingly, the wrapper is called HTCSense also and it appears to have something to do with that.) Best advice he could give was to check for the resolution update and to save messages you want to keep on your pc. Alternatively SMSBackupandRestore (he wasn't 100% sure of the name) was suggested as an app to save messages to your SD card.

(For those people tracking common apps to see if there is a connection, the first time this happened to me was about 8 days after I got the phone and I'd spent that time abroad and had downloaded no apps or really anything else for that matter. So it was pretty much virginal factory settings and it still happened.)

Upvote 0
I also lost my messages this morning and was lead to this forum, hoping for answers.

After a very angry phone call at HTC support, they said they are aware of the issue, it's being worked on, but they don't have a release date for this. It affects all HTC Desire phones (mine is Z).

The fix, once available, will be posted on their website and I suppose made available automatically.

I also have ~837 kb consumed by the messaging app, so it could be related.

In the meanwhile, I can only suggest that you use some sort of a backup solution for keeping the text messages backed up. HTC really blew the communication on this one.

Upvote 0
Hi,it just happened to me. I had a message in the top notification bar, I went to open it aof all my messages had gone.
I've deleted my sense account, turned the phone off, set sense back up.

I did notice that while doing this I had a error message saying sync not currently working. I don't know if that was the issue.

Anyway, after leaving the phone for a bit all my messages are now back.

I've just bought sms backup now to save me the stress.

Just noticed too while typing this the phone is very slow

Upvote 0
I had mine delete on my for the first time the other day.

I had a few apps crash simultaneously when I received a text and upon opening the app only the newest message was there. Not a huge issue because I have mine backed up, but quite odd.

Is it possible this is caused by memory running low and processes getting killed? I'm running AutoKiller Memory Optimizer with settings manual set in between Strict and Aggressive, but have had none of this happen before.

Upvote 0
hey guys,i had the same problem a few days ago and after alot of looking around the internet i posted the question on yahoo answers and below is the answer i got,makes sense to me :) hope it helps

low memory (RAM) and memory cache...

any phone... any make/model... any OS.... the phone is programmed to delete non-essential data in order for it to "run" properly. Now... if you have over 1000 msgs and/or emailssaved to the phone and not to the SD card, then Im pretty sure that this is your issue... start Spring Cleaning your phone!!!!!

Get the "MovetoSD" app... move apps to SD!!! moved any emails you want saved and any texts your want saved to your SD... or else, your phone will continue to do this
Source(s):
Android Core, Wireless Manager

Upvote 0
well this has happend to me quite a lot, about 10times in 6-8months. I thought i was somehow doing it when i put it in my pocket just after txting. but nope, it did it right in front of me wen i tried to send a txt.

It deleted them then wouldnt allow me to send a txt, didnt even get a sent confimation or a blue clock waiting icon. Had to restart phone then it sent.

Any solutions come about? I dont use emails on this and dnt really have a lot of data on it so i dnt think its what that last guy said.

Ghost

Upvote 0
I've just had this problem on my HTC Desire Z. Found this thread, but before I read the bit about removing HTC Sense, I'd already started restoring the MyBackUp Pro backup I last did, but that was 12 days ago, so I bet even if they were there somewhere, then they're not now.

To say how much I am not happy would involve an awful lot of swearing. I haven't tried emailing or phoning HTC (not sure if they're open at gone 9pm on a Tuesday) but based on experiences here, they sound about as useful as a fart in a bathtub.

There's a lot from different people which will still be there, but nothing from the numerous ones exchanged with my girlfriend over the past week or two. :mad::mad::mad:

Edit: I got back my last MyBackUp Pro backup, and have deleted HTC Sense and rebooted, but have not got the texts lost since the last backup. Can't seem to add a new HTC Sense account and neither of the email addresses I could've registered with (either my Gmail one or a non-Gmail one I use) are being recognised. I've tried to add a new HTC Sense account but it's not liking that at all. Not happy.

Upvote 0
This happened to me this morning too.

Tried removing htc sense and restarting phone, still no texts.

I've some texts in the htcsense website but they still haven't showed up on the phone either.

This is the 2nd time it has happened. Sigh.

Might try a hard reset if I can figure out how to backup everything in my phone.

Upvote 0
Well just had a live chat with HTC and they gave me a fix straight away. Here it is for those that want it

• Dial *#*#4636#*#*
  • Select Phone Information
  • Scroll down to SMSC and enter the SMS centre number relevant to network you are on
  • Tap update
  • Close screen, remove battery while on and reinsert

Was told nothing can be done for restoring messages though :(

Upvote 0
Happened to me this morning too. Thankfully I'd installed "Backup to Gmail" which offers a tap-to-restore-everything button, which appears to be restoring my call log and SMS perfectly. I had 1728 message items, some of which had several pages, so if I was trying to debug this the first thing I'd look for is an overflow at 2048 - but I could be way out with this. It'll be interesting to see how long the restored messages last, or if everything is immediately wiped again.

Anyway - I recommend "Backup to Gmail" if you value your messages!

Upvote 0
Well just had a live chat with HTC and they gave me a fix straight away. Here it is for those that want it

• Dial *#*#4636#*#*
  • Select Phone Information
  • Scroll down to SMSC and enter the SMS centre number relevant to network you are on
  • Tap update
  • Close screen, remove battery while on and reinsert

Was told nothing can be done for restoring messages though :(

Does it fix the problem from ever happening again? I've just found it's happened AGAIN today. My message data reads 880kb.

Also, how do I know what my SMS centre number number is?

There could well be a connecting with HTC Sense. I tried reinstalling that a day or two ago. I've now deleted it and it will not be coming back. :mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0
Does it fix the problem from ever happening again? I've just found it's happened AGAIN today. My message data reads 880kb.

Also, how do I know what my SMS centre number number is?
I don't think the SMSC has anything to do with it. However, if you hit Refresh next to the text box where you enter the SMSC, it should show the current value - which should be correct by default as it is stored on the SIM.

Upvote 0
I don't think the SMSC has anything to do with it. However, if you hit Refresh next to the text box where you enter the SMSC, it should show the current value - which should be correct by default as it is stored on the SIM.

Just done all that and while I don't know what effect it's had on my SMS messages for the future, I do know that it's deleted my Angry Birds app and presumably all my levels!!

Hmm... now it's saying it's still installed (just adding an update for it) yet it's not in my Applications. Confused.... :thinking:

Update: Still got my levels. Phew! Obviously no texts have come back, despite trying to switch it off earlier after removing HTC Sense :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones