My HTC Hero experience so far

Advertisement
  2. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

This thread excites me.

3. prepbgg

prepbgg Well-Known Member

Great write-up.

How do you get Bookmarks into List Mode?

4. malbon

malbon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Add HTC Widget.

There are 2 options, Style 1 which shows the thumnails of the page and Style 2 which is the List. Scroll right to install the second. This may be a feature of the ROM?

5. itsmoirob

itsmoirob Well-Known Member

I don't know if you know this, might save you one square space :D you don't need to have a Google Voice button. If you press the search button on HTC hero from any home screen a search box drops down with the Google Voice button added to it.
    Also you might find this useful
    How to take screenshots of your Android based phone from Windows – Simple Help
    It takes about 20 minutes to download everything to PC. >5 minutes to set up and seconds to photo screens. Very handy for those with unrooted phones. I use it.

@Prepbgg In the HTC Hero when you select add bookmark widget there are two options. Page view or list view. Just swipe your finger across to get the next option

6. prepbgg

prepbgg Well-Known Member

Do you mean I should remove the Widget I have already (the one that was pre-installed) and then add the Widget back? Or is there a way of changing the style of the Widget once it's on the Home screen?

7. itsmoirob

itsmoirob Well-Known Member

Yes remove it. All preinstalled widgets on your HTC Hero can be added again by clicking the little + button and selecting "HTC Widget" when adding new stuff.

Bookmarks is under HTC Widget.

Also so you know, the HTC Widget section has about 8 different clocks and 3 weather different weather widgets. Have a play around.

8. malbon

No I didnt, Thanks :)

9. brittas

brittas Well-Known Member

I love threads like this!

Just to add my two pence....

This is my personal phone, but emails look rubbish on my work's Nokia so I've decided to put my works email on the Hero.

So it has my Exchange work email, Hotmail, and my work calender all sync up. I've got an 8GB SD card with loads of music on it which I play in the car (via an FM transmitter) and when I'm out running.

I have Co Pilot as a satnav, CardioTrainer to log my morning jogging sessions, Calorie counter to work my diet out, Remote desktop to control my servers at work.

The FaceBook app is great. I very rarely check the website version now. I've just got the BBC news thing which I've started checking.

I too have all 4 switches for turning things off to save battery, but I got bored of doing it and just charge it once a day now. I only turn things off at night. I ought to look at automating it really.

10. chris-j

chris-j New Member

Nice review. I've just got my Hero on Orange so still customizing. Shame about battery drain with apps running and personally i agree with Brittas about charging daily if necessary. Love the phone so far although a bit disappointed with Bluetooth (although I have to say almost every bluetooth device other than headsets I have ever used have failed to impress).

11. rjjr2531

rjjr2531 Well-Known Member

youre so mean for writing this! you know us americans dont have one yet! anyways, you mentiond something about wishing the screen was bigger like the iphone. well heres how i justify this...i phone sceen is bigger, but it uses a lot of the bottom screen for buttons. buttons you would find off sreen for hero. also, on webages same deal AND it always has link dsplayed....i dont know if you can turn those off on iphone, but that my observation

12. Andyc655

Andyc655 Member

13. malbon

ADD

Android Widget

And it's shown as half size.

Its only shown as a shortcut if you add it as a shortcut. The menu after adding gives you the option to choose Shortcut, HTC Widget, Android Widget or Folder :)

14. Andyc655

Andyc655 Member

Ah ha! Yes, excellent thank you very much

15. keithwright

keithwright Active Member

It would be good if there was an easy way - or even better an app (without rooting) - to take screenshots of our homescreens to post up for all to see and get inspiration.....so much easier than tring to explain everything

I like the Heros clocks but find most of them take up too much of the screen - not so good if you want to show off a nice wallpaper
    .....best alternative clock i have found in the app store is the 'Digital Clock Widget' by Maize - very simple looking but stylish

Same goes for the calendar
    ....best alternative i have found is 'Pure Calendar widget' by Francois Deslandes. There are a lot of options with this one but with a little practice you can get a list of all your upcoming agemdas in a very nice looking onscreen widget

Give em a try

Anyone got any other alternative clocks etc. that they want to share?

16. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

You might be interested in Locale (free) and/or Wiggle Premium (paid) then. Between the two I've just about completely automated my own config. If only the Android devs would return the ability for apps to switch GPS on/off - without that it'll never be totally automatic.