• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Htc is broken

AndrewLb

Lurker
Aug 6, 2013
Hey guys, how you doing? Hope good :p
Anw I have a problem...
My cellphone "Htc Desire HD" is working properly but my screen stopped working (broked), so I can charge it normally and I receive notifications and messages and calls and everything normally, but I can't answer or check the notifications etc.. because of my screen.
So I bought a new device "Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini" and I want to export my contacts from my Htc and import them into Samsung, any idea how to do it without touching my Htc (because the screen is broken)?
When I plug my htc into my laptop, the default mode is set to "Charge only".
Any idea? :thinking:

how is your screen broken? you cannot see anything? or you can see,but the touch is unresponsive?

if the device is rooted,you could always make a nandroid backup in recovery,and restore it on a friends device if you know someone with another DHD.

unfortunately,if its not rooted,i cannot think of a way to root it without a working screen.

there may be apps that could back up your contack list,but again,im not sure how you could install and run the app without a screen :(

you might look into the cost of repair. if you just need an lcd or digitizer,it may not cost much,or if you can do small electronic repair,the parts may be cheap.

once the phone is working properly again,you can go thru and change them all to google.

sorry i cant be of more help,if nothing else,make sure in the future you create all contacts as google :)

Reactions: D-U-R-X and Mehta23
Upvote 0
Well how to make a nandroid backup?
And thank you guys for helping me:)
So if I do a android backup what will happen?
I just want my contacts on the other phone, that's all what I want. Before I drop that htc xD
you would need to be rooted. unfortunately,there is no way to root that would preserve yuor contacts. you could unlock the bootloader,then install a recovery,but this wouldnt do us any good,as unlocking the bootloader preforms a factory reset in the process,wiping your phone of all personal data. :(

i cant think of anyway to get your contacts from one device to the other without being rooted,or a working screen :(

Upvote 0
you would need to be rooted. unfortunately,there is no way to root that would preserve yuor contacts. you could unlock the bootloader,then install a recovery,but this wouldnt do us any good,as unlocking the bootloader preforms a factory reset in the process,wiping your phone of all personal data. :(

i cant think of anyway to get your contacts from one device to the other without being rooted,or a working screen :(

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I didn't lose data when I rooted?

Upvote 0
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I didn't lose data when I rooted?

you may have used a method that didnt erase your data,but it prolly required you to install and run an app,or you used the aahk wich is no longer supported,plus still required some screen touches(i think)

depending on the build he is on,there may be a temp root option,wich would let us dump the /data partition,but it would require to download and setup the miniadb file,plus he would have to have enabled usb debugging at some point(something most non-root users do not do),plus he would still need another dhd to root,install the same build he has,and restore the data partition back to it.

he could unlock the bootloader and install a recovery without touching the phone,but the unlock process wipes his data :(

ill keep pondering it,but the best way i can think of is to just fix the touchscreen :(

Upvote 0
Oh man thank you
Do you know any way to change from "Charge Only Mode" to "USB Debugging Mode"?
If so, I can sync from my laptop I think and this may works.
But I don't know how to change the mode from charge only to usb debugging without using the phone.. And idk if there is a way to do that, thanks :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones