My Idea

Last Updated:

1. n0ct3m

n0ct3m Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was sitting around bored the other day, as I often am. This usually leads to strange thinking and I guess you could lump this into a never going to happen but would be a neat idea category.

I was thinking about all the movies I missed when they first hit theaters (being engaged to someone who does not share your taste in film what-so-ever is soooo wonderful). This began to sadden me. I, for one, really hate missing a movie and having to wait forever until it hits DVD/Blu-Ray. Then I thought, what if movie theaters had dedicated websites set up that allow you to watched digital streamed versions of a film in theater for a fee. Sure, you would kinda be sticking it to the overcharging man that is the movie theater, but who needs them. You can watch that film you've been dying to see, but know you wouldn't get to see it due to "conflicts."

Pipe dream, sure, but there has to be someone out there that thinks this would be as interesting as I think it would.

Advertisement
  2. Aiyan

Aiyan Well-Known Member

I'm hopefully better off then you on gf part when it comes to movies. The good thing there, she seems like she like Nintendo Wii, so I survive either way! :p

But on the other note, crossed my mind as well. Seeing its more and more popular renting movies online, why not do it for cinema as well. Though I'm guessing they are afraid of losing costumers going to cinema if they did it that way.

For me, I personally like both options. I do have decent setup home - but I also like going to cinema's now and then. The popcorn and ice cream is delicious over there! :p

3. n0ct3m

n0ct3m Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Not only is the popcorn and ice cream delicious, but it's expensive as hell :p.

4. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

I've no doubt the availability of movies via online streaming at release (or very shortly thereafter) will come, but a couple of things I think will need to be addressed:
    1) Majority adoption of FAST broadband that can handle HD content near perfectly will be required; certainly a little way off for the UK.
    2) It won't be the theaters, it'll be the studios that provide the service, which will impact on the theatres revenues from movies AND from concessions; can't see this going down well with theatres, and I don't think many will survive. The bad press from this for the studios, will only be a problem during the initial take-up of the services, until the theatres have all closed, so #1 will be even more important to ensure a quick take-up.
    3) Piracy will become an even bigger problem, as people will find it even harder to accept that they're depriving anybody of a legitimate income, if viewing new releases online is the norm anyway. They'll need to figure out a practical way to combat the issue.
    4) I'll need a little notice, so I can buy shares in microwave popcorn companies.