My impression of the Epic

Last Updated:

1. brandiem09

brandiem09 Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 17, 2009
    I decided to put together a semi-review about what I like, find useful, or dislike about the Epic. It is a tentative list and there might be some things I forgot to include. I am very happy with the phone so far. It has far exceeded my expectations and I can’t wait to see how it plays out. I am coming from the HTC Hero and the Samsung Instinct before that. I, unlike many it seems, loved the Instinct. Unfortunately, I had a love/hate relationship with my Hero, but I think I had hardware issues. Feel free to ask questions.

• Unlike the Hero, you can use the volume rocker to snooze alarm on the Epic.

• I love that the phone has a proximity sensor, so no more accidental hang-ups while in a call.

• There is a space for a lanyard/wrist strap on the Epic above the volume rocker (must remove battery cover to put it in), thanks to gt33 for pointing this out.

• I love the fact that I can manage my files and folders from phone itself instead of mounting the SD to my pc.

• Thinkfree office is actually a really cool app. I’m a full time student, so I find it useful to be able to put documents on my phone for study on the go. I wish you could get more than 1GB of free storage though.

• The Epic is way faster/snappier than my Hero was. Way faster.

• I don’t mind Touchwiz, but I downloaded launcher pro anyway. I haven’t used it yet because I like the Feeds and Updates widget. Silly, I know. I don’t like the color of the widget, but I find it very functional.

• The GPS works better on the Epic than on my hero. On the epic, my location “dot” is actually where my house is. I know some are having problems with this, but it’s working fine for me.

• I love the qwerty keyboard, although it will take me a while to get used to it. I love using Swype also.

• I like how you can merge contacts if you import from more than one source, like Facebook and Gmail.

• Battery life isn’t the greatest, but it’s not too bad. I will be buying a spare battery as soon as I get the money.

• The movie quality is pretty awesome. I’m tempted to sell my iPad and buy a Kindle.

• Vibration and call/notification volume is great. I love the fact that I can adjust vibration intensity and the volume range is perfect for my needs.

• The epic usually only shows one bar of signal in my house, (worse than the hero), but I haven’t had any dropped calls so far. I have had a few text messages that wouldn’t send the first time. So, its wait and see for now.

• I like the fact that there is a built in task manager and widget. I find it very useful.

• DLNA is awesome! I can stream movies from my pc with no lag at all. I haven’t tried it with the PS3 yet.

• I haven’t had problems mounting my sd to my pc as some have had. I didn’t even have to download the drivers. I do have a problem trying to mount it to my Mac. It’s not recognized at all. Hopefully, there will be a fix for this soon.

• Qik is cool, but it still could use some improvement. The image quality is very poor and the fact that the recipient has to push the talk button to speak is annoying. I was never fond of walkie talkies for that reason.

• I do like it that you can reject a call with a text on the phone. I find that helpful when I’m in school.

• I haven’t had any problems with the sensitivity of the back button, or any of the others.

• I love the dedicated camera button. This is one thing that I really missed when I had the hero. I like the quick access. I also love all the advanced settings in the camera too. It reminds me of my DSLR, which I still haven’t figured out yet. All the more reason for me to study up on photography I guess.

• Paid full price at Radio shack, but got the $100 instant rebate, which is cool. People may think I’m crazy for this, but I needed a new phone regardless and I wasn’t eligible for an upgrade.

• I did get 4g briefly at radio shack, but have not been able to get it since. I don’t live in an “official” 4g area.

• I’m undecided on the power button placement. I sometimes push the volume rocker at the same time.

Here are some of the apps I’m currently using. It’s not an extensive list, but I am open to suggestions for “must-haves”.

Bonsai Blast
    250+ Solitaire Collection
    Solitaire by Ken Magic – I love the app, but you can’t deal in Spider without a trackball.
    Kindle for Android
    Mahjong by Magma Mobile
    AppBrain App Market
    Barcode Scanner
    Launcher Pro Plus
    Retro Clock by jSource
    Weather Widget – Free by Android Apps
    Weather Widgets ( looks cool, a little more Sense like, but I haven’t tried it.

Home Switcher is great for quickly switching between Touchwiz, Launcher Pro, Stock Android, and/or any other launcher you may use.

Sorry if this is long winded. :p

Attached Files:

fatcat59, dullard, DeniseJ and 3 others like this.
  2. Android XTC

Android XTC Banned

Aug 26, 2010
    Where is that clock and weather widget from? LOL never mind I see it now!
  3. kristv

kristv Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Excellent write-up! Really appreciate the insight! :)
  4. brandiem09

brandiem09 Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks! I just thought it might help some who are still on the fence. :)