• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Incredible comes tomorrow, but I have a couple important questions.....

SoupAssassin

Aug 18, 2010
So, I stuck with my plan to get an Incredible despite the Droid X launching recently as well. My dad got a Droid X, and it is an awesome phone no doubt....but a tad too big for my tastes. I fully understand how some people don't mind, but for me my phone is in my pocket and at my side 24/7. It's sad to say, but like many people, my phone is the thing always closest (After seeing Inception....I realized my phone is the thing I handle to make sure I'm not going crazy and in a dream haha). Because of the size, I decided to stick with the smaller, but prettier, screen of the Incredible. HDMI out is nice, but largely a moot point and something I'd never use (honestly I can't think of any practical applications anyway, if you're by an HDTV there will also be better devices around for pictures, etc; without needing to tote an extra cable around.)

The only thing that is bothering me about the Incredible is the lack of a dedicated GPU. I understand the snapdragon was designed to be able to handle 3D perfectly well on it's own, but I am guessing that a dedicated GPU must provide some kind of reasonable advantage. From what I have seen, the Incredible handles everything as capably as any other Android phone (including the X), including 3D. From people who own the Incredible, and have used the X, is this a solid truth?

For me however, newer games is not the issue (Android Market seems devoid of games anyway); but emulation is. This phone HAS to be able to handle SNES and GBA games at the least; PS1 and N64 would be cool but not exactly expected. How is emulation on this phone and do the games rum smoothly? Some action games might be played (portable Kirby Superstar and Mario All Stars is "OMG!"), but probably mostly RPG's. I won't be playing them often, but I know the X has this capability, so I expect the Incredible too as well or I'll swap them out.

tl:dr - Is the Incredible capable of handling emulation well, and is the lack of a GPU a huge detriment to the future of the phone and its ability to solidly play marketplace content.

Also, I know this is my first post; but no need to welcome me. I know your all just happy to have someone else who prefers the Incredible over the X. :p

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones