My Incredible & network extender don't play niceSupport

Last Updated:

1. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I received the 2 network extenders I ordered today, hooked them up, waited for the gps to find itself, and then nothing. Talked with tech support and they said you needed at least 300kb up & down (my dsl was 810 down & 216 up). So I talked to my isp, and for $10 raised my speeds to around 1400kb down and 760kb up. I cycled power to the network extender and still no go!

Spent and hour with VZW tech support and found that a family member's Moto W385 (Moto feature flip phone) could connect just fine, but not my Incredible. Tried it with the second network extender and same results. The tech issued me a trouble ticket and tey will get back to me. He closed the call saying there was probably something wrong with my Incredible.

My questions are does anyone have both an Incredible and a network extender? Do yours work or did you have similar issues? If so how were they, or were they resolved? Any help is appreciated.

I'm just hoping I don't have to replace my Incredible, especially with the wait times they are showing.

Advertisement
  2. tubs

tubs Active Member

I hooked up my new network extender monday night, and it works fine with my Incredible, and my wife's Incredible. When you press #48, do you get the message that says you're connected to it?

The only issue I have is that the reception bars don't report correctly while being in the vicinity of the extender. I'll have anywhere from -45 to -85 dBm, but I'll only have 2 bars... which makes no sense. As soon as I get on a call though, the bars shoot up to 3 or 4 bars.

3. vzwuser76

No, like I said in my OP, when I dial #48 or anything, it says dialing for about 30-45 seconds, then a network busy notification pops up. My bars didn't show correctly either until I attempted a call, then they went to full bars. If I had my choice I'd rather have your problem.

On another note, I searched the Verizon forums for anyone with the same problem. Most had an issue with the SYS light blinking red and never going to solid blue. One had the same issue as I had (never said what phone he had) with not being able to make a call, but he could receive calls. So I powered up the NE again and after it came up I used our Moto flip phone to call my Incredible and that worked. Tried my Incredible again and same as before. Made 2 more calls with our Moto phone then it started doing the same thing!

I called VZW tech support, after waiting on hold for about 40-45 minutes I explained what I had found today. He said the NE logs all calls, successes and failures and they will use that for troubleshooting purposes. He noted that I had disconnected the NE after my own troubleshooting this morning. He said I needed to leave it connected so they could see what was happening with it. I explained that if I did that my Incredible would not be able to make any calls at all, which he said he understood. So I asked him if they were really expecting me to go without cell service for the 72 hour period before they would get back to me? He had no answer, so I told him that I would have it disconnected and await their call. I already attempted a lot of calls so they should have enough to go off of. I can't really be without cell service as my oldest sister has had 3 surgeries for cancer and will be starting chemo so I need my phone to get her updates or find out if ends up being terminal. If I have to choose between not having that ability or sending back the NEs, I'll send them back.

4. tubs

tubs Active Member

I remember reading that you need to give the Sys light enough time to connect. If you're not home during the day, try leaving the network extender on so you can come home to a solid blue Sys light.

Are you sure your other phone used the NE to make the call to your incredible (meaning it did the double beep when you made the call)? Maybe the other phone was just using the normal verizon reception in your home?

Another idea is that the serial number of the NE should be registered correctly with verizon. If they incorrectly typed it in, then you could have issues. I read about this happening on some forums. You can double check by logging in to your online account and checking the serial there to see if it matches.

One other idea is that there might have been an outage with the network extenders at the time you were doing this. Here's an article from Tuesday 7/27: Verizon Network Extenders Experiencing Outage Nationwide | PhoneNews.com

..during that outage, my NE has a blinking Sys light.

Hope this helps you out.

5. vzwuser76

Like I said, when I went to try it it was completely up (ie all blue lights) every time I tried it.

I don't know about the serial number, but the tech & I confirmed the MAC address, and I assume that that's unique to each NE.

I know that the times I was able to make a call on our Moto phone it was on the NE. The first call was a #48 and got the recording that I was on the NE. That call and the other 2 all had the little double beep when the call goes to connect the call.

I don't think the outage would have affected me as mine was not hooked up until the 28th (first day) and it still didn't work today. Plus, I never had the blinking SYS light like they had.

I do appreciate your help but it looks like I'm going to have to see what Verizon finds out. Hopefully they can make it work otherwise if they go like they have been talking about and want me to replace my Incredible, I'll probably end up with the same problems others who have gotten replacements are experiencing (pink hued screens, blown speakers, grounding issue, etc.) which mine has none of. Or I'll end up having to go with Zboost or Wilson Electronics which cost 2 to 3 times the price of the 2 network extenders. Ho hum, not my week.:(

6. Hightech

Hightech Well-Known Member

Did you change your settings from EVRC C to EVRC B?

My Incredible won't work on the extender with those settings.

Just a thought.

vzwuser76 likes this.
  7. vzwuser76

THANK YOU!!!! My Incredible was on EVRC B. I switched to EVRC (standard) and it works just fine. Again... THANK YOU!!!!!:D

8. hosmer2678

hosmer2678 New Member

I have a droid x and i'm having the same problem. It just won't connect to the exrender. How do I get to the settings within this phone? I just got it yesterday and still trying to figure it out. Tech support was no help!!

9. Hightech

Hightech Well-Known Member

10. VTENGR

VTENGR Well-Known Member

I'm having this exact same issue with my buddies network extender. He has an incredible too, he can make and receive calls just fine on his, his GF has a Blackberry and hers works just fine also. Me, on the other hand, can only receive calls but can't make any. The status bar says "Dialing" and after about 30 seconds i get the network busy error message.

My buddy called tech support to put all of us on the "priority" list for his extender, but that didn't solve my issue. (he can't manage his NE himself b/c its a business account)