funkpod Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

BIG PROBLEM.

I noticed this scenario.

I needed:

1. In car
    2. Incredible Plugged into charging
    3. GPS on and navigating
    4. Bluetooth on
    5. TALKING on the phone using bluetooth.

= phone shuts off and resets about 1-2 minute into the conversation.

This happened two times to me during the trip, and it was w/ the same scenario. it was enough that i had to stop using my bluetooth. which is very dangerous while driving. either that, or get lost.

Can you please help?

If you can, can you guys test this for me? see if it happens w/ you.

~funkpod

Advertisement
  2. Mischka7

Mischka7 Well-Known Member

It usually happens when the phone overheats; at least that's when it happens to me. If the temp goes over 103F, the phone stops charging and immediately resets. It usually happens in the car because I run Pandora and GPS.

If temperature is your issue as well, there's not much you can do aside from not using the phone. I've read about folks having some success jury-rigging their phone to an AC vent and blasting the AC. In any case, you can look at it two ways: A) The Incredible is poorly designed and overheats too easily, or B) The Incredible is a multitasking beast that was never meant for this Universe, and therefore our piddly processors and batteries cannot hope to satisfy the raging appetite of the Destroyer of Worlds...I choose the latter.

3. funkpod

funkpod Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i got this back from HTC

"I understand how frustrating it is when your device restarts while you’re using it. Unfortunately, we cannot resolve your issue without sacrificing one or more of your features. Your device is restarting because it is working very hard to handle your call over Bluetooth while your GPS is running plus any background applications. That’s 3 out of 4 internal radios in use (wifi being the 4th) In order to resolve this, I would recommend, instead of using Bluetooth, use a wired headset or speakerphone. This would reduce the strain on your Incredible and allow you to turn off the Bluetooth radio. The programming in your device tells it to shut down when it reaches a certain temperature in order to prevent damage to the processor from overheating."

what!??!!? that ... that is like the biggest fail, to me. i love my Incredible, i really, do, i think it's great.

but suggesting that I "downgrade" and not use a bluetooth headset? the Incredible can't handle all of these things at once? come on... I wish they didn't call this phone the Incredible. It leaves it open to too many cheap shots.

don't get me, wrong, i'm a fan on this phone, but... well, i'm also not at the same time.

does the evo or any other htc phone have this type of problem?
    Droid x?

4. Mischka7

Mischka7 Well-Known Member

Like the commercials said, it's a beast and it's multitasking and taking names. Unfortunately the battery and processor required to run this beast at full potential don't exist yet.

Incidentally, this is why Apple's "walled garden" works. I never strained my 3GS to overheating and my battery life was comparable to my BlackBerry 9630. I only pushed the limits of the iPhone after I jailbroke it, but even then I never ran into the problems I'm finding with the Incredible.

My friend has a Droid X and assures me that he's never had overheating problems. I post his response tongue in cheek, because he has never had Pandora AND GPS running at the same time nor does he use bluetooth.