My journey from winmo to android.

Last Updated:

1. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator This Topic's Starter

As a transplanter from winmo, (mogul tp and tp2) the winmo/microsoft integration is second to none. Really. But it should be. When I xfer'd to android back in november, I ain't gonna lie, it was tough, and pleasureful at the same time.

One on hand, I had to give up all my mods, tweaks, and *.cabs. Everything I had come to be an expert with was gone. I loved the office suite it came with, and spb products were my friend. But, winmo (legacy) was going to cease to exist. I had to move on.

But but... to what? There is nothing that could touch my robustness of winmo....

Well, I head to the sprint store to check out my options. First thing I looked at was a pre. WebOs was great. Fast, easy to use, awesome right? Well, not really. The build quality was crap! Felt like a cheap toy, keyboard was too small to be useful, and the screen was small. Plus after research I heard many many complaints about the phone cracking at the same spot... so, the pre was out.

Next to it, was a hero. I didn't even know what it was, because of sense. I said to myself, hey this looks like touchflo 3d! Sweet. Played around with it. The ui was nice, no keyboard though... and it was slow. I knew it wasn't winmo... so what was it?

It was android. After a bit of digging, you tube vids, and the like, I could see android has come a long way since when I played with it on a g1 on launch week. I absolutely hated android back then. But, after hearing about 2.0 coming out, and seeing how great it was, I wanted it. But not the hero... no... too slow... and no keyboard. So what then?

Well I found the samsung moment. I salivated at the glorious (fastest at the time, which sadly was only 6 months ago!) 800mhz processor, amoled, and that beautiful keyboard. In-store it was fast! Wow! Sat there for an hour playing with it. Time to do more research!

It was then I learned there is a mod community for android, and specifically the moment. Sweet! Well, at the time no major bug reports other than gps not working so great(or at all). Not a dealbreaker for me, I prefer a real gps anyways.

Then I see a best buy advertisement, with the moment going to be on sale for $79 on black Friday. That sealed the deal. On black Friday I navigated in, and made my purchase.

Got it home, installed screen protector, and was loving it! But but my precious winmo/windows integration? How do I sync this thing? Where are the office apps? Rawr!

Well, the office integration is something I still miss. And I still need to find a good alternative for it. But I'm not going to be held back on a dead platform for a couple of apps. Something will come along just as good or better. And I miss the windows messenger too... on winmo it was awesome. But I have nimbuzz, so that's *almost* as good, and makes up for it having other chat clients built in. (Winmo has nimbuzz too, but it sucked!)

I quickly learned to root my phone, flash my own roms, and had it set up my way. Awesome. Found some great apps winmo will never have, and other reasons to not look back on winmo. And a lot of the winmo stuff is coming to android, so that's awesome, too. Android was here to stay, and I'm glad I stumbled upon it again, by accident.

So, when is someone going to make a .cab emulator for android so I can play all my old games again?

Advertisement
  2. dvdivx

dvdivx Well-Known Member

I also moved from Winmo to Android. If Microsoft had announced that Winmo 7 was going to be a windows on your phone experience instead of the locked down sludge they produced I might never have left. If they had said it was going to be x86 on your phone with virtual xp support I would have NEVER have left. As it is the only thing I don't like about Android is the Java layer. They should have stuck with straight Linux.

3. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator This Topic's Starter

If they would have kept legacy support, with the modern specs and ui overhaul, they would have kept me hands down.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

4. DrScrubs

DrScrubs Well-Known Member

Winmo 6.1>6.5>6.5.3>Droid. Loved the same stuff you said about Winmo. Droid has been great as well! I do miss Office and the built in Remote Desktop to Windows though. It was nicer that I didn't have to pay for it with Winmo. But the #1 thing I like about Android is it is connected to everything Google (obviously). And I use a lot of Google stuff. Winmo wouldn't natively do GV for example. So Android it is!