• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Journey to get LG G Stylo GPS fix (in progress)

TL:DR

My Stylo has GPS issue, tried to fix it since May 2016.
Had to send the unit 5 times, eventually asked for complete refund but LG rejected it.
Still ended up with somewhat unstable unit.

LG customer service, repair process is joke

May 24, 2016

Issued a first RA# (Return Authorized Number) A0165G76450

May 25 - May 26, 2016 (2 days)
LG Repair Department received, fixed and sent it back quick.
Thanks to my location (Fort Worth, TX), I received the device right next day.

May 27 - Jun 13, 2016
Testing period. GPS worked for first week then went bad.

Jun 14, 2016
Issued a second RA# A0166003852

Jun 16 - Jun 17, 2016 (2 days)
LG Repair Dept, again fixed it within a day and sent it back next day.
Noticed they simply did 'Reset Software'

Jun 18 - Jul 17, 2016
Testing & dispute period. GPS issue still exists.
Called LG Customer Service multiple times to complain. Ticket escalated to upper level

Jul 18, 2016
Issued a third RA# A0167G10133
Special instruction attached saying replace a whole motherboard

Jul 21 - Jul 27, 2016 (7 days)
Due to escalated status, repair took a week.

Jul 28 - Aug 31, 2016
GPS issue still exists.
Called customer service multiple times to complain.
Requested LG to upgrade it to Stylo 2 which is same price.
Also told them if upgrade is not available, refund is preferred instead of repair
LG Customer Service told me upgrade / refund is not available. The only method is issuing RA# and send back to LG again.

Sep 1, 2016
Issued a fourth RA# A0169G24528

Sep 9 - Sep 9, 2016 (1 day)
LG Repair Dept received the phone.
They simply did 'Reset Software' and shipped it back on the same day.

Sep 10 - Sep 18, 2016
Called customer service again.
Complained about their poor customer service, lack of communication between CS and Repair Dept
Strongly requested complete refund but refund request denied.

Sep 19, 2016
Issued a fifth RA# A0169G29907
Customer Serviced attached a note saying this is a fifth repair and need complete replacement on parts.

Sep 27, 2016
Sent phone to LG
LG Repair Facility received the phone next day (28th)

Oct 16, 2016
Phone taking too long, status web page didn't get updated
Called customer service for status update, asked her to issue a refund
26min conversation

Oct 17, 2016
Called Customer Service again, asked for status update
Didn't get much progress, requested to speak to supervisor level

Supervisor issued an escalated ticket and contacted the repair team
Supervisor will call me back later to discuss
33min conversation

Oct 19, 2016
Supposed to receive a response call 2 days ago but call never received...
Repair / Refund process still hasn't been updated on the repair tracking webpage.

Called Customer Service and complained.
13min conversation

Oct 24, 2016
No update from CS (no email, no phone call back)
Called CS regarding status update
15min conversation

Oct 31, 2016
Received automated email that the Repair Facility received the device and will attempt to repair (Oh NO!!)

Nov, 1, 2016
Made phone call to CS, they confirmed LG is trying to repair instead of refund.
Had to escalate phone call to talk to a Supervisor. The supervisor will try to push refund instead of repair. Promised me to give me a status update which didn't happen.
54min conversation

Nov, 4th, 2016
Upon talking with another CS & CS Manager. I've found out LG DENIED REFUND REQUEST due to 'Lack of Document'. I asked them that's complete made up reason and I already provided them all the information they need including receipt copy. CS Manager couldn't give me an exact reason and detail. CS Manager will try to push Refund request again.

54 min + 29 min conversation.

Nov, 8th, 2016
Finally got the phone back. Took almost a month and two weeks.
GPS worked fine for a week.

Nov, 14th - Nov, 28th
Testing period. One day it works fine, another day spotty connection.

Nov, 29th - So far
GPS seems to be working 80% of time after the repair. But it's getting worse. Now (01/04/2017), I will say it's 50/50. Sometimes it finds current location immediately and gives me correct direction. Sometimes it cannot pin point exact location thus giving me incorrect direction and making Map / Navigation completely useless.

If I have to travel long distance, I won't rely on this phone at all. I will either take my Tomtom GPS or activate old Samsung phone.

Conclusion
I could try one more repair / refund process but at this point... I am not going waste any more of my time. As far as I know this GPS issue exists in multiple LG devices and they should be more active and willing to build customer trust instead of ignoring us and be silent about it.

Last edited:
Repair Status Screenshots

Notice how they repair (usually just resetting the software) then ship it back...

Attachments

• lg_repair_01.png
    lg_repair_01.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 314
  • lg_repair_02.png
    lg_repair_02.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 273
  • lg_repair_03.png
    lg_repair_03.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 243
  • lg_repair_04.png
    lg_repair_04.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 243
  • lg_repair_05.png
    lg_repair_05.png
    54 KB · Views: 319
Upvote 0
Have you tried padding the GPS/NFC antenna contacts on the back cover as it was advised in another GPS thread here?

Not the padding trick yet.

I found out my back casing was loose, so I tighten the screws. It looked like working fine for a week then GPS went bad again.

If it goes bad for the 5th time, I will try the padding trick.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0

I found out my back casing was loose, so I tighten the screws. It looked like working fine for a week then GPS went bad again.

If it goes bad for the 5th time, I will try the padding trick.

I had to buy a new(refurb) battery/back cover and my GPS improved. Not saying that is the solution but it has been alot better since.

Upvote 0
That's why I moved on from LG altogether. My solution was to give my Stylo to my daughter. She loves the phone, and doesn't ever use Maps.

@Bard go get yourself a ZMax Pro. Cheap and worth the money. I believe we're getting to the bottom of the network issue, and it may work fine for you. Added bonus: The GPS works great :)

I remember you said something about poor quality initial OS and ZTE is about to release a new patch? Did new patch come out? Any major issue on Zmax Pro?

Reactions: viperdink
Upvote 0
I remember you said something about poor quality initial OS and ZTE is about to release a new patch? Did new patch come out? Any major issue on Zmax Pro?

I was having problems with keeping a connection but now I'm almost 100% sure I'm being restricted by MetroPCS while operating on TMO's band 12. My other gripe about HD streaming ended up being the data maximizer set to ON, switching it off in MyMetro app fixed it.

Other than those two issues and a handful of UI bugs/glitches, it works fine. Great design, rich display, loud speaker. When it kept it's connection it worked great for me. I'm back running my Nexus 5, which is not band 12 compatible, so that I have a solid LTE connection. Check the forums out. All except for my heated posts lol....

I guess a confirmed OTA update is being released some time soon to fix the bugs and may include an upgrade to 7.0.... As of now there is no root access or R/W bypass, so no development yet, if ROMs are your thing..

If you want to wait for more input on the patch, I'll tag you or PM you when/if I ever get it. Even as the phone sits now it's well worth the price.

As for other (wife's) Stylo I have, that is running 6.0 and GPS works about the same as my daughter's running 5.1... works when you don't need it to, and in a pinch it's useless. I don't think LG is ever going to fix that problem :(

Upvote 0

Perhaps what solved your GPS problem for a week was not tightening of the screws but that when you were putting back the back cover you attached it in a way that resulted in a better connection with the GPS/NFC antenna contacts on the back cover. And then it got loose again.

Make sure that the back cover is attached tightly, so that the back cover "clicks" on all sides and there are no gaps between the back cover and the phone's body. If that doesn't help, consider padding the antenna contacts on the back cover with a small piece of paper, plastic, duct tape, etc.

HTH

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
If you want to shore up the GPS contacts, you will have to dismantle that phone. The big square antenna adhered to the inside of battery door with the 4 contacts is the NFC only.

GPS antenna is glued inside the rear housing cover, near the top of the phone and has 2 contacts. That is why tightening the housing screws under the battery cover fixed it temporarily.

You will have to dismantle that phone to shim up and clean the GPS antenna contacts. It's probably a guaranteed fix for you, but at the risk of breaking something or voiding warranty if you still have one.

I've done this repair on my Nexus 5 already. And like the Nexus, the Stylo gets hot, then cool. After so many cycles of expanding and contracting, the antenna contacts lose their footing, and/or build up oxidization. Either way, cleaning and shimming with small piece of index card stock worked.

I'll try to put together some kind of step by step, been meaning to fix my wife's Stylo because her GPS sucks too. TBC......

Reactions: tomol012 and ddaddo
Upvote 0
The big square antenna adhered to the inside of battery door with the 4 contacts [actually, there are only 2 contacts] is the NFC only. GPS antenna is glued inside the rear housing cover, near the top of the phone and has 2 contacts. That is why tightening the housing screws under the battery cover fixed it temporarily.

I think you're right here. I tried it with the back cover off and the location service still works. So no point fiddling with the back cover contacts then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK so I managed to remove 10 million pieces of broken touch glass from a LG Leon LCD, what a PITFA... I'm sure GPS repair on a Stylo will be easier. I'll report back later tonight ;)

@Bard I don't know how comfortable you are with taking your phone apart, but this task may not be all that bad. LG phones are pretty easy to break down. The same repair I did on my Nexus 5 lasted until the phone was destroyed (lil over a year). You can send a nastygram to LG demanding they fix it (IF, bad connection is THE reason it's not working), and hope they actually fix it, or attempt it yourself...

My plan is to shim contacts on GPS antenna on my wife's phone and have her test it out over the course of a few days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK so I managed to remove 10 million pieces of broken touch glass from a LG Leon LCD, what a PITFA... I'm sure GPS repair on a Stylo will be easier. I'll report back later tonight ;)

@Bard I don't know how comfortable you are with taking your phone apart, but this task may not be all that bad. LG phones are pretty easy to break down. The same repair I did on my Nexus 5 lasted until the phone was destroyed (lil over a year). You can send a nastygram to LG demanding they fix it (IF, bad connection is THE reason it's not working), and hope they actually fix it, or attempt it yourself...

My plan is to shim contacts on GPS antenna on my wife's phone and have her test it out over the course of a few days.

Nah. I am really bad at fixing stuff. -_-;; Since the device at LG facility at this time. I may contact them again to make sure 'Physically Fix' the phone instead of resetting software..

Reactions: Spec2nirvash
Upvote 0
Nah. I am really bad at fixing stuff. -_-;; Since the device at LG facility at this time. I may contact them again to make sure 'Physically Fix' the phone instead of resetting software..

No shame in that ;) I've dealt with Samsung repair facilities before, flash and return on an old slider phone that rebooted every other few min. You'd think they would check it before sending it back.... That's all it took for me to never use warranty service again lol...

Reactions: Bard
Upvote 0
G Stylo (6.0) reading, Nexus 5 reading, respectively, after first fix attempt. Close enough, will have Mrs. test for me tomorrow.

I didn't think to capture a test of Stylo BEFORE the repair, but my other Stylo GPS is crap also. Side by side of the two Stylos (1 fixed, 1 not), will hopefully show some major difference in fix. I'll check back tomorrow afternoon when I have both Stylos in hand, and some input on if the repair even helped.

Attachments

• 1475552507629.jpg
    1475552507629.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 1475552533241.jpg
    1475552533241.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0

May 24, 2016

Issued a first RA# (Return Authorized Number) A0165G76450

May 25 - May 26, 2016 (2 days)
LG Repair Department received, fixed and sent it back quick.
Thanks to my location (Fort Worth, TX), I received the device right next day.

May 27 - Jun 13, 2016
Testing period. GPS worked for first week then went bad.

Jun 14, 2016
Issued a second RA# A0166003852

Jun 16 - Jun 17, 2016 (2 days)
LG Repair Dept, again fixed it within a day and sent it back next day.
Noticed they simply did 'Reset Software'

Jun 18 - Jul 17, 2016
Testing & dispute period. GPS issue still exists.
Called LG Customer Service multiple times to complain. Ticket escalated to upper level

Jul 18, 2016
Issued a third RA# A0167G10133
Special instruction attached saying replace a whole motherboard

Jul 21 - Jul 27, 2016 (7 days)
Due to escalated status, repair took a week.

Jul 28 - Aug 31, 2016
GPS issue still exists.
Called customer service multiple times to complain.
Requested LG to upgrade it to Stylo 2 which is same price.
Also told them if upgrade is not available, refund is preferred instead of repair
LG Customer Service told me upgrade / refund is not available. The only method is issuing RA# and send back to LG again.

Sep 1, 2016
Issued a fourth RA# A0169G24528

Sep 9 - Sep 9, 2016 (1 day)
LG Repair Dept received the phone.
They simply did 'Reset Software' and shipped it back on the same day.

Sep 10 - Sep 18, 2016
Called customer service again.
Complained about their poor customer service, lack of communication between CS and Repair Dept
Strongly requested complete refund but refund request denied.

Sep 19, 2016
Issued a fifth RA# A0169G29907
Customer Serviced attached a note saying this is a fifth repair and need complete replacement on parts.

Sep 27, 2016 - Today
Shipped a device, waiting...
I simply took my phone to metro and swapped it for a brand new one with no issues.

Upvote 0
I simply took my phone to metro and swapped it for a brand new one with no issues.

Did you buy it from a corporate store? I bought mine from independent seller and they had their own policy. Not sure if LG / Metro PCS can influence them and issue a swap though?

Wife said no problems with GPS yesterday, which is a first, we'll see how it goes again today and I'll post some pics tonight of what I fixed, highlight a couple of issues I found, and some other phone mishaps that will certainly exacerbate the GPS problem.

Hope it goes well. From my experience it can go bad after a week or two. Let us know the progress :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones