my kids are asking for an iPod touch, but I want android...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garybeck

garybeck Well-Known Member

my kids are asking for an ipod touch (a friend has one). I don't like Apple and prefer android for reasons I won't get into here... Overwhelmed with all the devices out there, I really didn't know what an ipod touch is. I did a little research and it really looks like it's a smart phone without the phone.... or a tiny tablet.

so instead i was looking at small android tablets, which I'm sure would make them happy. but it seems like the smallest tablets are 7" screens and that seems a bit more bulky than they really need.

i'm kinda thinking now, why don't I get an android phone and just skip the phone contract? they could still do wifi, get apps, and everything an ipod touch does, and probably more.

i currently have an LG optimus. I think if I gave them something similar to this, with no phone contract, and a nice sdhc card they'd be stoked.

I paid $150 for my optimus but now I see them on amazon for around $100. it's a prepaid device with no contract. I would think you could buy one and just never activate the contract and everything would work except making phone calls and 3G, right?

seems to me that an un-activated android phone is basically the same thing as an ipod touch. correct?

am i nuts?
    am i missing something?

Advertisement
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

If your kids want an iPod Touch, get them an iPod Touch. If that's what they want, keep them happy. :)

The iPod Touch is one of the few Apple products I'd actually buy myself.
  3. jgriner

jgriner Well-Known Member

I hate crapple products, but for younger kids they are great. How old are your kids?
    One of the main reasons I hate apple products is they are dumbed down, I hate not being in control of my devices.

Since they are dumbed down they are great for "non-techy" people or young children, I gave my little girl my old ipod about 2years ago when she was 4ish and she was easy able to run the device.
  4. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

Just get them a Nexus 7, it also has user accounts now with 4.2 which is handy.

You can always pickup a phone and use it for games and apps, something like the Galaxy S2 would work well for kids but make sure to put a protective case and screen protector on there.
  5. Bexy

Bexy Well-Known Member

Why not ask them why the want the iPod Touch? If it's just for music and the occasional app, an Android phone would do. If it's for apps as well, perhaps probe as to what apps and see if they are available on Android? I know there's still some apps on iOS that aren't on Android (Sonic Jump for example, grrr).

Find out the reasons why, let them know if an Android (your) phone could do the same, see if they're interested? To be honest, if I asked for an iPod Touch and I got an Android phone, as much as I love Android, I would be disappointed.
  6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Kids right? An iPod has more games, and something I would consider a toy. Just get them one. The closest you'd get to an Android iPod touch is a Galaxy Player. Basically a Galaxy S1 without the phone part.
  7. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

Yeah, an iPod Touch is basically a phone without being able to make calls.

Always wondered why people with iPhones buy these as it's basically the same but you can't make calls, surely you'd just use your iPhone?

I'd look at some like the Nexus 4 which is cheap yet an extremely good phone, maybe the storage wouldn't be enough though for all their music.

Maybe look at a phone that has a removable SD Card so they can add more music as Google Music would be out of the question unless they're using WiFi.
  8. Colchicine

Colchicine Well-Known Member

OP, I agree with your assessment, just get them a phone. I highly recommend going the used route for this purpose. If you want something with a bigger screen, don't spend a bunch of money on any tablet! Just get an older phone with a big screen, it's still going to look huge next to iPod. Ones to look at that will be cheap now are some of the older Evo's. Heck, the Evo 3D would surely keep the kids entertained and wow their iPod friends. If you buy from someone that used a case and screen protector, like I do, their used phones will look nearly new.

Secondary topic below:
    And that's how you raise a child to be entitled. The OP is the one with the money, it his up to his discretion to get what is best for their situation. If kids knew what was best for them, they wouldn't need parents.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  9. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

You could always look into getting a Galaxy Nexus off contract or something of the sort, it would have plenty of internal storage and just be a larger iPod, however, depending on your kids' ages i would suggest just getting them the iPod, like others have said, i consider it a toy as well.

If they are old enough to be considering a phone in a year or 2 maybe grab an android that they can turn into a phone in a year or so :)
  10. gamikzone

gamikzone Well-Known Member

just don't get them hooked on Apple xD
  11. Digital Controller

Well personally i have no issues with Apple, yes it is a product that basically limits the users to do, well anything really, apart from choosing your case, I love android, but i am not biased because someone owns an Apple device.

I treat all members here with the same respect regardless of devices owned now or in the past.

While I would rather get my son or daughter an Android, if they really want an Apple product, and my wallet won't be crying to me afterwards, i'll get them it.
  12. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

XD is an amped up :D so I don't see any respect issues here.

OP, to reiterate an answer, add some phone radios to an iPod touch and you have an iPhone, so yeah, an inactive Android is in the same class. If you want to stretch your budget or steer them towards Android for any reason you like, an inactive phone is a great choice.

Plus if they take good care of it, when the day comes to add them to your account, you'll be ahead on that score. Make sure that the phone would work on your present carrier if that's part of your decision.
    dan330, D-U-R-X, lunatic59 and 3 others like this.
  13. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Well-Known Member

There are actually Android solutions that are effectively the equivalent of the iPod Touch....ie a phone not connected to a cell network, or as we called them back in the day a PDA. These devices are basically designed for multimedia playback and game play which I am guess what you kids are looking for. Here are a couple links:

PlayMG
    Samsung Galaxy Players
    Article: 8 Android Alternatives to the iPod Touch
    EarlyMon likes this.
  14. pedroc1999

pedroc1999 Well-Known Member

I got a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and with a little modding it is a great phone,
    I installed an app called SwapSD which on reboot, mounts the internal as external and vice versa. I have a 8gb MicroSD which is more than enough for the average app addict. It has been benched and is faster than the iphone 4S, it has a great 3.8"screen and it runs apps at good speeds, It can also run my alltime favourite "Happy Wheels" at an astonishing 19-22 FPS which is good even for some computers.But the best thing is you can get it for
  15. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

there is NO difference .. an android phone without a wireless contract .. is an ipod touch.

since they want and ipod touch.. which is mainly for music and media...then i am guessing they will be highly dependent on ... itunes!

is that enough to not get them started on apple products?
  16. TgeekB

TgeekB Well-Known Member

I would ask them why they want the iPod touch specifically. They may have a legitimate reason (play certain games with friends, facetime). I don't feel we should push our agendas on our children ("I hate Apple"). Let them learn to make decisions themselves and grow as individuals. Just my 2 cents. Either way I'm sure they will have a nice holiday.
  17. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

to a certain degree.. i agree with you.

but if i have to support my kids with itunes and get they apps and music and media .. with itunes.

with itunes..
    I choose not to! they can deal with it. life is NOT always fair.. good lesson to learn for them.

because I only know how to do it on android...so...
    if they are old enough and have their own PC and dont come to me with.. where did all my music and stuff go??? how do i do this? where is my backup?? what do i do now????
    then I would get them an idevice.. they have right to choose.
  18. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I think that there is a lot of good advice here, but it's not directed at the OP.

They specifically said that they want their kids using Android for reasons that they don't want to get into, and have found $100 solutions.

Their question was, will it work, and the answer is yes.

Discussion with the kids, suggested alternatives costing more, and Apple vs Android is all fine and well, it's just additional to what the OP asked. ;) :)

First rule of parenting that all parents know - never tell others how to raise their kids. ;) :)
    El Presidente and NightAngel79 like this.
  19. !on

!on Well-Known Member

An ipod touch is... an ipod. A music player. Paired up with itunes an ipod is great, itunes sync is superb (for ipods). Some people hate itunes, or more to the point, they refuse to look in "settings" or "preferences" to set it up how they want it, like that is too much work, instead opting for the drag & drop, which is actually more work (after setting up itunes preferences).

I like both. Itunes is designed to do it automatically once you've set it up. Drag & drop is just doing the same tedious manual picking from your own folders. Incidentally, my music is all in my itunes folder, so to drag & drop music to android I pick from there :rolleyes:.

There are so called media managers that are supposed to sync itunes playlists to android, alas they don't work well & you end up with duplicates & shiz. So it's itunes for apple products, drag & drop for android.

These things considered I say get them some kinda android phone. They can use the phone part of it at a later date maybe.
  20. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

Can't you just download the music from itunes and then upload to Google Play Music, it's good upto 20,000 tracks.

Should be straight forward unless there are limitations with itunes I'm not aware of.
  21. Digital Controller

That and using a third party app like iSyncr, which syncs directly over Wifi and USB to iTunes
  22. 211275

211275 Well-Known Member

Love my iPod Touch. Its basically the iPhone 5 without the phone feature, a lesser camera and processor. I had an iPhone 5 for a few weeks but switched back to Android. However, the iPod makes me feel like I still have an iPhone and its 32GB instead of only 16GB. Also have an iPad mini, so I enjoy both iOS and Android :)
  23. pedroc1999

pedroc1999 Well-Known Member

not to mention you can sometimes install ios on android
  24. bls

bls Well-Known Member

I have a similar situation - my wife just upgraded and so we have a spare phone (Sprint/Samsung Epic 4G) that we'd like to let the kids use for games, videos, etc.

I want to ensure the kids (both under 10) cannot make calls, send texts, etc. But using games/wifi/internet/youtube will be fine since we do supervise them.

Is there anything I can/should do to lock down the cellular connectivity of the phone? Or is it incapable of making calls since Sprint activated my wife's same phone number on a new phone?
  25. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

OP, if you're looking for a great place to get a cheap, used Android, Swappa is a nice site:
    Swappa (Android) Buy and sell gently used Android devices
    As others have said, a used Android with no cell connection (assuming you have wifi available), is a great option. If you can stretch your budget a little bit, they may like a Nexus 7 (which they can certainly share with you as it offers different user profiles).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.