• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

alexander323bc

Android Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2009
texas
Ok so my mother is in her her 70's has been looking at getting a Fitbit so because of that I am thinking about getting her a smartphone for Christmas. Anyone think the pixel would be good? My logic is that it should offer a simple and clean android experience with a very easy to read display and easy to read and use. She is coming from a flip phone so this would be her first smartphone experience.

I don't have a pixel but I am looking at getting the XL in the next couple of days. So I thought maybe the pixel would be good for mom. Any advice out there?

I'd not get a Pixel, I'd go for something less expensive. I'm guessing she is not going to be doing much more than talking, looking at pictures and maybe texting/emailing. The Pixel may be overkill for her needs. I have a Moto X Pure, it's a great phone and still has a nice, clear good size display. It's pretty much straight up Android, no bloat.

Upvote 0
I'd not get a Pixel, I'd go for something less expensive. I'm guessing she is not going to be doing much more than talking, looking at pictures and maybe texting/emailing. The Pixel may be overkill for her needs. I have a Moto X Pure, it's a great phone and still has a nice, clear good size display. It's pretty much straight up Android, no bloat.

Thank you very much! I will start looking at this one. And I have German shepherd too. Her name is Morgan and when she was a puppy she would take my phone and run away with it.

Upvote 0
I just read a review on the Moto X Pure, and I have to totally agree with you.

The Moto X Pure is apt to be all the phone that any of our mom's can handle.
I like the fact that it is pretty much pure Android, and the dual front facing speakers will help mom enjoy watching a video

Thanks for the reply as well. I am going to look at the moto x pure!

Upvote 0
I am sorry for the loss of Lilly. My fiancee lost her GSD Samantha a few years ago and Samantha was defintly her soul mate, Morgan is wonderful but nothing will ever come between what her and Samantha had. Dont forget to play tug with Tickle today! I might venture into best buy tommorow but will probably wait until monday. Will look at the G4. Looks like I can get a new moto x off of amazon for like 150 bucks so that perfect.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
I think you might be going a little overboard buying her not only one of the most expensive phones out but one of the most powerful phones out, especially coming from a flip phone. If you don't mind the money part then yes 100% get her the Pixel. Me personally, I just bought my father a Moto X Pure Edition instead. Still a very good phone for a quarter of the price.

Upvote 0

I'm inclined to agree that a Pixel might be overkill, but maybe not. I'm 76, but have had smartphones for about 12 years, both iOS and Android. I confess that I've probably never used more than 60% of their capabilities. But occasionally I'll mention to one of of my grandchildren - "hey, I wish I could do so and so with my phone". The typical response is usually something like - no problem, just click on this and do that. Point being, even if I'm not as capable as the phone, it's nice to know the functionality is there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones