My Motorola Droid won't play videoSupport

Last Updated:

1. luckotheduck

luckotheduck New Member

I just keep getting the same message whenever I try and play video on my Droid..."Sorry this video cannot be played on this devise"

It worked fine before the software upgrade.

I have already done a factory reset and rebooted my phone multiple times, does anyone have any other suggestions>

2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Did you try reloading the video onto the phone?
  3. Hemorrdrhoid

Hemorrdrhoid Well-Known Member

Mine is doing this, too; with both the added movie files AND the files that I recorded using the Droid camera! That's the most annoying, frankly.

I haven't hooked up to the laptop lately to move anything off and back on again, so it's still a mystery without an attempt at a solution.
  4. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

I had that issue lots of times

I rooted, set CM6, and playing with the SetCPU settings has worked

That's the biggest gripe I have with the DROID, is the inconsistency of playing video files.
  5. JohnDa

JohnDa Well-Known Member

I had the same issue, but only with 3 of my many movies, all of which are mp4. Try RockPlayer - it plays my movies that wont play in any other app.
  6. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

You are probably playing a movie in an unsupported format. Getting RockPlayer is good advice.
  7. Droidmaniac

Droidmaniac Active Member

Also, are you talking about Youtube, or videos in general? If they are your own videos on youtube, make sure they are not set on "private".
  8. bleedGreen

bleedGreen Well-Known Member

I would like to know what is the best program to take the movies playing(on your PC) and transfer them to D1;2.2/2? ALso what is the average gig a movie will occupy, and I would want JUST to transfer the movie, NOT previews or extra stuff...just movie, so I can put more than "1" on my 14gig card?
  9. bugsmac9

bugsmac9 Member

I have the problem also. I called Verizon tech support yesterday. She wasn't much help, but she said she'd call me back today.
  10. dizzydeitz

dizzydeitz New Member

Mine was doing the same thing. All I did was pull the battery and now it works fine even on 3g.
  11. Pattinson

Pattinson New Member

I think perhaps your Motorola Droid doesn't support the video format, generallt speaking, you have to convert video to Android format like *.mp4.

Just using a android video converter to convert videos to android. It helps
  12. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

+1 for Rockplayer. The Droid itself doesn't support that many formats/codecs. IIRC we also lost support for some audio formats with a recent update.

Define exactly what you mean by "best". Handbrake works well but it might not be the simplest conversion app out there.

There's no fixed ratio for the amount of video you get per GB. The codec, video length, compression settings and other settings (resolution/cropping/etc) will affect the amount of space used in the end.

My video files have always played consistently.
  13. stevenpounders

stevenpounders New Member

Thanks dizzydeits! Your solution sounded too simple to be true, but ...

I took out the droid battery, waited 10 seconds, reinserted, and it worked! The videos are all playing now.
  14. Jerzie

Jerzie Well-Known Member

Rock player is great! If u are into movies check these out.
    Ttorrent app found on market.
    The app allows u to find torrent files via (I use all the time on pc)
    with RockPlayer installed u will be able to open the newly downloaded file.
    I also go to
    u can dl movies that are already formatted for phone.
    much faster dl speeds

My question:
    Is there a codec pack u can dl to the phone directly for vids so u don't have to use rockplayer?
    when going on certain sites I am unable to view content if codec is required.

Droid x 2.3.340
  15. CCRDad

CCRDad New Member

Thanks! same for me, my droid 2 wouldn't play the .3gp video files it records and after pulling the battery for a minute problem resolved. :)