my music as notification toneGeneral

1. jwilson36

jwilson36 New Member

On ICS I cant figure out how to set my music as a notification tone. Under my music it only gives the option to select a song as a ringtone. Im hopin Im just overlookin somethin please help. :confused:

Advertisement
    :
  2. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Create a folder in your SD-Ext card with the name ...
    ringtones
    ... perhaps in the root ...
    /media/sound/ringtones
    ... and copy your .mp3 file there. It will then show up as an option in the ringtones sound dropdown.

Create a folder in your SD-Ext card with the name ...
    notifications
    ... perhaps in the root ...
    /media/sound/notifications
    ... and copy your .mp3 file there. It will then show up as an option in the notifications sound dropdown.

The .mp3 that I use for notifications is attached.

(If you have duplicate folders named ringtones or notifications with copies of the same .mp3 files they will show up as duplicate entries in the dropdown lists.)

... Thom

Attached Files:

doogald, stridermt2k and jwilson36 like this.
  3. jwilson36

jwilson36 New Member

Thanks Thom
  4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Just a quick note that the folders /notifications and /ringtones can be anywhere on your external SD card or internal storage - it does not have to be on external, and it does not need to be in /media/sound

You could, for example, have simple /ringtones and /notifications on the root of the sd card. Or, they can be in /foo/bar/ringtones - as long as the folder is called ringtones, the option will show up in the ringtone picker.

That said, it is an excellent idea to organize things Thom's way...
    stridermt2k and Thom like this.
  5. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Excellent information. I revised the original message.

Since I had a backup copy stored away on the SD-ext card in a folder with the final name of ringtones ... this was the cause of the duplicate entries in the dropdown list.

I also added this as a Tip.

... Thom
  6. stridermt2k

stridermt2k Well-Known Member

Thanks folks!
    I knew about doing this with ringtones, but was not aware that it could also be done with notifications. Very cool!

Stock notifications always left something to be desired with me so this is a great thing to learn!
  7. TexasBadger

TexasBadger Well-Known Member

My favorite ringtone is In-a-godda-da-vida (sorry for the bad spelling). My others are Layla and Smooth. All three get a reaction whenever somebody calls.