• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My new droid x camera is not working....

Xbound

Jul 10, 2010
Hello all.

I was really excited to be one of the 25 lucky ones to get a droid x today, but my camera doesn't seem to be working.

At first it worked fine, just seemed a bit laggy, then allof a sudden the phone would restart wheni would open the camera app. Now the camera app just shows a blackscreen. I have reset the phone and restarted several times with no change.

Any help or suggestions?

Hello all.

I was really excited to be one of the 25 lucky ones to get a droid x today, but my camera doesn't seem to be working.

At first it worked fine, just seemed a bit laggy, then allof a sudden the phone would restart wheni would open the camera app. Now the camera app just shows a blackscreen. I have reset the phone and restarted several times with no change.

Any help or suggestions?

if you have restarted it and have not done a factory reset, please try menu>privacy>factory data reset

Upvote 0
Hello again all thanks for the quick responses. I have done a hard reset, and the camera had the same function, just as it did yesterday. The camera would take a few laggy pictures, then the phone restarted on it's own, and now the same thing, black screen.

The camera functions are all there, flash, scenes, but there is no photo in the frame just black as if I had my finger over the lens, which I don't.

I tried video, same black screen. I tried launching the camera from within another app, like Facebook, but same results.

So would one assume that I have a hardware issue?

Upvote 0
Hello again all thanks for the quick responses. I have done a hard reset, and the camera had the same function, just as it did yesterday. The camera would take a few laggy pictures, then the phone restarted on it's own, and now the same thing, black screen.

The camera functions are all there, flash, scenes, but there is no photo in the frame just black as if I had my finger over the lens, which I don't.

I tried video, same black screen. I tried launching the camera from within another app, like Facebook, but same results.

So would one assume that I have a hardware issue?

The camera has a "real" shutter, so look at the lens when you turn the camera app on and see if the shutter is stuck. Warranty that phone quickly. Hope this helps, sorry to hear too man :(

Upvote 0
I am having the same trouble, just got my phone delivered to work today. Mine never crashes but the screen just goes blank sometimes and the screen seems to freeze up all black.

I don't know how to tell the difference between the hpysical shutter being open and closed since ive never used this phone before. Can anyone supply close up pics of the camera lense (with another camera) so I can see what mine should look like?

I will be going to a corporate store after work asap to get this checked on. Thank goodness my corp store has a massive supplly and has been promised by verizon and motorola that they wont run out! woot.

EDIT: Got off the phone with Technical Service Rep. My new droid is getting shipped to me ASAP should be getting here Monday or Tuesday. Check your local stores to see if they have stock for a swap in-swap out deal. If not get your call made to Tech. Service and go through the process of trouble-shooting till they give you the new phone.

Sucks to have to wait for camera but this wait is so much easier than the last week so I'll survive

Upvote 0
I have played further with the device, and it would seem that the shutter is closed, but I can't visually confirm.

What sucks is that I am on a carribean cruise and would have loved to use the panoramic photo feature.

I guess I will return the phone for exchange once I return to the states. :(

Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Should I call my verizon rep or call verizon customer service?

Upvote 0
I have played further with the device, and it would seem that the shutter is closed, but I can't visually confirm.

What sucks is that I am on a carribean cruise and would have loved to use the panoramic photo feature.

I guess I will return the phone for exchange once I return to the states. :(

Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Should I call my verizon rep or call verizon customer service?

See my earlier post I had the same issue and called customer support and they are able to replace the phone.they walked me through a few possible fixes that people here a already mentioned but when they were satisfied that it was a hardware issue not a software error they shipped me a New phone. They will ship it out and let you return yours after the new one comes!

Hope this helps.i would call now so you have the new one when you get home :) :) :) :)

Upvote 0
See my earlier post I had the same issue and called customer support and they are able to replace the phone.they walked me through a few possible fixes that people here a already mentioned but when they were satisfied that it was a hardware issue not a software error they shipped me a New phone. They will ship it out and let you return yours after the new one comes!

Hope this helps.i would call now so you have the new one when you get home :) :) :) :)
Wow really? My camera isn't working and I called Customer Service last night and they said I would have to pay full price for the new phone to be shipped to me and I will be credited back once they receive mine. I opted to go to the store and they said they couldn't order me a new phone unless I left mine with them. The thing is I need my phone for work as there is no other method of contacting or getting emails from the main office.

Upvote 0
Wow really? My camera isn't working and I called Customer Service last night and they said I would have to pay full price for the new phone to be shipped to me and I will be credited back once they receive mine. I opted to go to the store and they said they couldn't order me a new phone unless I left mine with them. The thing is I need my phone for work as there is no other method of contacting or getting emails from the main office.

hmm they made no mention of charging up front. They did say if I dont return it in 10 days i would be charged, so same effect really, but they led me to believe the charges would only be incurred if no phone comes back after 10 days.

we'll see on my cc bill i guess:thinking:

Upvote 0
I followed the advice of stopping all camera functions on the phone. SETTINGS>APPLICATIONS>RUNNING SERVICES AND STOPPED WIDGET AID SERVICES AND PHOTO WIDGET APP . THEN I removed the battery and re inserted it and started up the phone. WALA!! problem solved, the camera started working again. Of course, it didn't work during a recent concert when I had great seats...dumb phone:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones