• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My new Galaxy Ace

Hi guys,

Last week I bought a new Samsung Galaxy Ace. I'm new to cell phones and did not know about the new ICS Android version that came out, or that this phone isn't (officially) compatible.

I'm sad to find out that it cannot be upgraded to the newest Android 4.0, since I thought that 2.3 was the newest (I now know better).

My question is, was it a really bad mistake to get this new Galaxy Ace since it can only run Gingerbread? I cannot exchange it. Since I'm locked into a 3 year contract, will this phone become completely obsolete quickly?

I'm hoping I will still be able to get decent compatibility with it (for apps) for the next 3 years until my contact is up.

:(

You mean the first Galaxy Ace? Well, it already has several apps incompatible with it due to the low screen resolution. At best its a entry level Android phone. While its good enough for basic smartphone usage, its not really something I'd advice anyone to buy if they can afford better.

Its hardware is also very dated, its using a two year old CPU design. It won't really be able to keep up very well. But it mainly depends on your usage. My Galaxy S is still enough for my needs.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

I just want to make sure that I will be able to use the newest apps and other things with my new phone.

I talked with my provider and the store I bought it from.... I may be able to exchange this phone for a Samsung Nexus S or Sony Xperia Ray. Would that be a good one to get instead? Do you know if the hardware and CPU design is newer and if it can keep up better?

Would the Nexus S or Sony Xperia Ray be a decent choice for a new ICS compatible phone on a budget?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

I just want to make sure that I will be able to use the newest apps and other things with my new phone.

I talked with my provider and the store I bought it from.... I may be able to exchange this phone for a Samsung Nexus S or Sony Xperia Ray. Would that be a good one to get instead? Do you know if the hardware and CPU design is newer and if it can keep up better?

Would the Nexus S or Sony Xperia Ray be a decent choice for a new ICS compatible phone on a budget?

Both the nexus S and Xperia Ray are AMAZING phones (two of my favorite in fact!).

Both have Ice Cream Sandwhich

So it really ends up to 2 things. Do you want Stock android (Nexus) or Sony Timescape UI (Ray) and The screen size....the ray is ultra portable while the nexus is average in terms of screen size, 4 inch that fits well in your pocket.

In terms of apps and such, for THREE years? With the rate that technology is moving in, not even a new phone like the galaxy nexus can keep up.. :S
No matter what phone you get, ALOT will happen in 3 years....

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have to say this. ICS has only brought me problems on my Asus Transformer and I am very sure that it needs too many resources that the Ace just doesn't have. Also, I think those who got the Ace got it because they couldn't afford a better phone (that is my case at least).

My point: Just because ICS is the newest Android OS doesn't make it the best. You can customize GB well enough and it works great just the way it is. Quality meets price.

- Insekt

Upvote 0
All very valid points. Gingerbread runs most apps in the market now and for the forseeable future but 3 years with a 18 month old phone that had 2 year old hardware in it when it came out and the story may be very very different.

Gingerbread is still the most widely used Android platform as ICS has not rolled out to many of the large amount of Android handsets out there.

The ace is a great phone that definately punches above its weight but if you want high power and a longer lasting phone then the nexus is probably better suited.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the info and suggestions, everyone! I learned some new info now from what you've told me. Much appreciated.

With the Galaxy Ace it seems that it's not just the Android OS that's out of date but the hardware in general.

I think my best choice is to go with the Galaxy Nexus. Even though ICS may have a few bugs to work out, I think that being able to have it on my phone is a good idea since that is the direction that Android is going now. Maybe new updates will get ICS to run better.

The Galaxy Nexus has a bigger screen than the Xperia Ray, and to me that's very important. Comparing the two overall, I decided to go with the Nexus.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The ace does have dated hardware in the fast moving android world but I wouldnt say its a disaster.

Some more facts to ease your mind. Currently official ICS rollouts are limited to new highend phones, which dispite all the media attention only make up a small section of the android market.

check these 2 links
OpenSignalMaps - Android Fragmentation Visualized
Android

also this link

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

in short Android has had a long term problem of fragmentation, it had it in 2010 and 2011 also.

A app developer most likely will write their app to work on android 2.3.x for years to come because even now they still usually make their apps work on froyo as too many phones are still on it. Some people are leaning on google to try and make them enforce companies like samsung to rollout OS updates to all phones less than 2 years old to try and fix this problems as well as making it happen within 2 weeks of a phone coming to market.

What are you going to use your phone for?

I have yet to come across an app that isnt a game that is incompatible with the phone, the only refused downloads on the market are due to my region not my phone spec. If its for office stuff like email then its fine. Also its fine for things like web browsing, news, video streaming, playing music that sort of activity. The camera is decent although thats for my use, eg. if you need a front facing camera or HD video recording then the ace isnt good enough.

So currently april 2012

more than 50% of android phones run android 2.3
20% android 2.2
and about 7% 4.x

I think by the time 4.x becomes relevant (which it isnt at the moment) hopefully there will be a fully functional CM ICS rom build for the ace for those who feel they need it. Then the limitations will be hardware such as camera res, and screen res.

So this boils down to what you need the phone for really.

Reactions: TonyV5 and GrahamF
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones