• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My new Samsung Galaxy S. I have questions!

Hey there.

I have the Vibrant model and im curious about a few things...

1. Is there a way to change the function of my Home button? Currently when I press it, it takes me to the Home Screen. When I press and hold it, the application switcher pops up. Is there a way to reverse this?

2. I have quite a bit of unused space on my SD card(internal and external). Is there a way to use some of my free space as RAM?

3. Is there a way to plug an external mic(other than the one that came with the earphones i got when purchased)or aux device into my phone, like a guitar(with the right adapters) or another analoge or digital sound device?

3. What file types are supported when using the stock Media Player?(audio and video)

4. What types of files are supported using the stock web browser?(audio and video) and am I able to download another browser with flash/divx support?

5. I would like to download torrent files directly to my phone. Are there any apps out there that can do this? Mostly because I do not have a computer to load my media files onto my phone with(cds and dvds).

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of my questions!

1. Some launchers let you change some of the functions , but I didn't find any that let you change the home button hold, you may need a customed rom [not sure about this , may need more research]

2. No , they are different things

3. Should be possible.

3.I've tried 3gp/avi/mkv/mp4 for videos (wmv and some divx didn't work on the stock media player , worked on rockplayer) I'll assume it supports open formats too as ogg
for audio I only tried mp3 and wav , wav didn't work

4.Stock browser doesn't exactly play videos (unless it's a flash video and you have 2.2 with flash plugin installed) it sends it to the video player

5. seems that none actually work fine, some work but with a terrible speed (all torrent apps got bad reviews it seems)

Upvote 0
Okay... Heres the thing...

Anything is possible. I guess the Home button question would be answered if someone wrote a simple app to do this.

As for the RAM question. If you think in terms of a computer. You can use Hard Drive space as Virtual Ram(page file) so im assuming again there would need to be an app made for this this. Another question would be can i upgrade the amount of RAM in my phone?

As for the rest i suppose apps just need to be made for them.

Unless someone else has a better understanding and wants to give input!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones