My Nexus 7 battery seems to drain quickly.Support

Last Updated:

1. Nigel2153e

Nigel2153e New Member

Can anyone advise. I've got a nexus 7 which was great but now the battery seems to drain even when I don't use it. Any advice would be useful. I've tried safe mode and its still draining. We hen I switch it off completely it stops draining.

2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Under settings, go to battery and see what is draining your battery, report that back here and we will try to help :)
  3. Nigel2153e

Nigel2153e New Member

It saying screen 70% android system 7%
    AntimonyER likes this.
  4. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Well-Known Member

Try moving the brightness down. Mine is usually on lowest it can be and even that users about 50%
  5. syzmic

syzmic Well-Known Member

If you have Google Currents, you need to either disable the app or go into settings and configure it so that sync is disabled. That app is a known battery killer.
  6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Roughly how long do you get out of a charge?

What does the tablet lose overnight/when it's not in use?
  7. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Hmm, that is actually pretty normal for relatively heavy usage. Might be better to charge it up before you go to bed, let it sit overnight off the charger, and then report what used it, and what percentage you have left.
  8. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member Contributor

Mine was draining the battery crazy fast, like 30% a day without using it. On my old Nexus 7 I put a wifi widget on the screen to turn off the wifi when not in use and it fixed that one. But the same solution did not work on the new one. Then I started looking at apps that may want to try and ping the internet and I saw that Hangouts was logged in automatically when I first logged into the device, but I never use that. So, I logged out of it and now I don't even lose about 2% a day when not in use.

The battery stats stated that "mediaserver" was the culprit, however that doesn't really narrow it down very much.

9. Nigel2153e

Nigel2153e New Member

Hi guys. Well I charged it overnight and unplugged it and I've just had a look. Its now 3%!! :thumbdown:
  10. tedpc01

tedpc01 Well-Known Member Contributor

Have you backed up and reset the system?
  11. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

Go into settings/accounts/Google and see what's being synced. I have nothing checked there. Any weather apps to sync once an hour only during the day. Turn off location serves (or at most just check GPS). I disabled Google+, Hangouts, Currents, Email, Gallery, Gmail, Books, Magazines, Movies, and Picasa Uploader (don't use any of them).

My biggest issue was it was getting dirt slow. I rooted the other day (same as factory reset, but also getting root)... and installed Lagfix. Speeds up everything! Just don't use Forever Gone, it really slowed things down.

If your usage is high, you still won't get more than a day, but with low to no usage you should get 2 or 3 days.
  12. damstr

damstr Well-Known Member

I'm getting this same issue. Last night my battery was at like 65% and after I got home from work today after sitting on my couch all day was at 12%.

I checked the battery usage thing and it said that system idle took 17% of the battery life @ 1 day and 4 hours of idle.

Any ideas? I was hoping the battery life would be similar to the iPad mini at least. Screen brightness is at like 30%.

I just signed out of Hangouts so lets see how that goes.
  13. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Currents is another battery killer by all accounts.

Rather than using the stock battery meter, use GSAM battery monitor, it will give a much better idea of what's actually using battery than the stock app.