My nexus and my 1200 mile drive..

Last Updated:

1. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok , I currently live in Connecticut and spent the last week and a half in Florida. Whenever I go to Florida I drive, yes from Ct. You can imagine how long the drive is, i usually make it to Orlando in about 18-20 hours. Anyway its my first trip using my Nexus. I have made the trip several times using my former iphone and noticed some differences in the trip, mostly positive. So i decided to share.

Positives:
    1. Using cherry player to listen to WFAN (sports radio out of NYC). When i used to use aol or yahoo radio on my Iphone it use to disconnect frequently and i would have to restart the app. With my Nexus I was only totally disconnected once. I did lose signal a few times but instead of disconnecting the app would stay open and then reconnect on its own and pickup from where it left off. I was shocked and very happy with that.

2. on my iphone i could not use the gps app and aol radio at the same time. with my nexus both apps (cherryplayer and google maps) ran smoothly, no issues

3. It was great being around all the iphone users and actually taking out a phone that was different from theres, lol. A few droid users actually recognized the Nexus and engaged in android conversations with me.I felt like a star, this was helpful while on line for the rides. lol

4. Taking pictures at night was great now that i had freekin flash. lol

5. Using buzz was fun

6.my biggest huuuraaaah was because we stood in a mobile home campsite and there wifi went out for 3 days.. Having PDANET was a freekin life saver! dumping my Iphone was best justified at that moment.

Negatives

1. I wont attribute this to the Nexus but more toward Tmo. When in some areas of Kissimme/Orlando I would have edge when I normaly had 3g with iphone/ATT

2.Missed some of the apps that makes there appstore great

3. This one is not Nexus related , more Android. I missed the Facebook app,,BIGTIME! I hope they update it soon and improve the heck out of it

Advertisement
  2. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

Awesome writeup! I am going to be taking a road trip soon so this is nice to know! :D

3. Laxe

Laxe Well-Known Member

Good to read about an extended test run with the Nexus One. What did you mean about the Facebook app? You know there's a Facebook widget that comes with the Nexus One right?

Edit: Ah nevermind, read that last bit again.

4. BiGMERF

of course i do :) , and i know about the various others. but all of them combined pale in comparison to the the native iphones facebook app

5. zoiko

zoiko VIP Member VIP Member

I will be going from southern California all the way up to the San Fransisco area in the next few weeks. I will be planning on having my HTC Hero ( sprint ) hooked up with my car radio and will also be using GPS Sprint Navigation so I will let you guys know how it all works.

6. 1080p

1080p Well-Known Member

In March , I may be making a Phoenix to Seattle roadtrip. I'll be testing mine too. Hopefully the Car Dock will out by then.

7. BiGMERF

glad you guys liked the write up

8. kaotix

kaotix Well-Known Member

When I go to America this year I'll do a write up too if I can. I'm sure my trip will be longer than this. 6000+ miles :D
    Each other time I've been I've had an iPhone with me, 3G first time and 3GS the second time. I found it to be a pleasure having such a feature filled phone with me for WiFi and maps etc while in another country. That's one thing you cannot really use a laptop for, GPS.

9. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

sounds like a great time man! great story!

10. pickup1

pickup1 Well-Known Member

man i wish sprint had this phone!

11. BiGMERF

sprint will be getting something pretty decent over the summer. hang tight