My only hang up.

Last Updated:

1. thecrock0984

thecrock0984 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My only hang up on this phone is the physical keys. I think its nice with more screen. But I see review videos and can hear the physical buttons clicking. I had a Dinc and have another one ordered. Man they are both great phones. This X is sweet. I just dont know about the physical buttons. Any thoughts on the buttons? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. mortymouse

mortymouse Well-Known Member

I like the buttons myself. Having a physical button rather than the touch ones (at least IMO), makes things easier and less error prone.

3. Syv3n

Syv3n Well-Known Member

To be honest I dont really like them either but the more I use this phone I am favoring the X over the Inc by a lot..the screen and everything is just awesome..And when this thing gets Froyo I think it will be overall better than the Inc. But back to the buttons I think it would have looked nicer with the touch buttons an a optical sensor like the Inc but they are ok.

4. android2dev

android2dev Active Member

Yes, I love the physical keyboard. My favorite keyboard was the keyboard on the G1. I looked at the original Droid but the physical keyboard keys were too close together for me to type efficiently and the on screen keyboard was new and not great. I find the on screen keyboard on the X to be pretty good, spaced out and I make few mistakes. Still not as fast as I was on the physical but with time I should be.

5. ryanc2

ryanc2 Well-Known Member

They need to be backlit at least. I was reading email in bed last night with the lights off and had to guess where the home and back buttons were.

6. jrappy87

jrappy87 Well-Known Member

well ryan, there are only 4 buttons...you don't know what each one does by now? ;-)

7. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

They already ARE backlit!!

8. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member Contributor

Mine were not backlit either until I changed the screen brightness from "auto" to a different brightness level. Now they work as they should.

9. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

There not talking about the keyboard

10. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

Mine's set to auto and the back lit works. It may not illuminate the back light until it detects the conditions to be dark enough.

11. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member Contributor

Well, I was lying in bed with all the lights off, that seemed pretty dark to me! I was just running my fingers along the buttons and pressing them off of memory. I kept thinking "these have to light up, don't they". Once I changed that setting, they work as they should. I haven't switched it back since the update, but I'm happy with it how it is, so I am not messing with it.

12. Roxors

Roxors Well-Known Member

i know on the storm 2 the lack of buttons sucks hard core, a lot of times when i bress back or something like that it would register on the wrong one and send me flying... very annoying when on a phone call and trying to look stuff up at the same time

so when i saw the X was coming with actual buttons for home back ect i was stoked to me this is a move in the right direction.

13. Stealthman

Stealthman Well-Known Member

I like the physical buttons

14. ucla2042

ucla2042 Well-Known Member

i like the physical buttons, cause i have a meaty palm and sausagey fingers. so i always end up hitting capacitive buttons on accident.

15. ryanc2

ryanc2 Well-Known Member

Same thing here. Weird. Last night, after playing with brightness setting, they were backlit.

16. DroidSloth

DroidSloth Well-Known Member

I really really miss my touch buttons from the Droid. I don't think its worth changing phones over, but man oh man do I miss those. And seeing that space of blank glass below the screen and above the physical buttons that just has a verizon logo makes me think of how nice the touch buttons would be right there.

17. BigJim94

BigJim94 Well-Known Member

Every time i would type on my friends EVO I accidentally hit the home button. It was quite annoying... I am sure once i got used to it i would not do hit it as much. I personally love the physical keys...

18. labeledbass

labeledbass Well-Known Member

The quality seems about 8/10 but I do like the fact they are rockers. Not sure if that was intentional or to save a buck on a couple buttons but at one time it is only possible to press 2 out of 4 buttons, which is nice.

And yes they are back lit, normally a white light BUT last night I noticed the whole row was green, can't reproduce it but yes, they were green. I'm new to droid OSs and was just browsing around through the settings and toggled something, forgot what it happened so fast. Would be nice eye candy if you could manipulate the colors :D

19. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

I like the physical buttons, I am finally getting use to the menu button before the home button now.

20. xdroid

xdroid Well-Known Member

I prefer the physical home/search/back buttons to ones that are an extension of the screen. I had the incredible for a week before the X (did a worry-free swap) and so my opinion is based on comparing the two.

21. vaio

vaio Well-Known Member

I might not be getting your problem here guys. If your watching a movie in the dark or anything else and your keys lights go out. Just TOUCH THE SCREEN and the hardware keys light up. I love this because the keys stay off until I need them. And when I do I just touch the screen.