• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Ott tv box keeps going to first run settings and won't let me do anything else. Could someone hel

I think this has happened to me.
I just let it run its course for a few minutes and it 'factory reset' itself.

Bloody annoying as I had uninstalled the old KODI, installed the new version, spent all evening customising it with my favourite add-ons and then finally DID NOT back up the settings! Grrr!

Yeah, I was new to the fragile world of cheap Chinese Android TV boxes!

Any-hoo...

Have you tried resetting the device for more options? (Toothpick in the back!)

Upvote 0
Hello again Mr. Cole I did what you suggested and this is what's happening ,the robot is on it back with it chest shield open with a red triangle coming out of it chest and a list that says reboot system now; apply update from adb; apply update from ext; apply update from cache; wipe data/ factory reset; wipe cache partition

Upvote 0
The problem is that an operating system designed for a phone/tablet is loaded onto an Android TV box that has no buttons to press.

This going to be hard to get past and it's possible (likely) that your device is bricked permanently.

I'm no expert, but it's also possible that the buttons that usually work on a phone may also work from the remote that came with the box.

For example... when this screen comes up, some phones need you to press both the power button and the volume down (or volume up) button to activate a 'Factory Reset' mode.

I'm wondering if the same buttons on the remote would trigger the recovery screen on the Android TV box.
Maybe a different combination of buttons may work if this combination as no effect.

Or you could plug in a keyboard or remote control of some kind via USB.
Once you get to the dead Android guy with the red triangle press the VOLUME UP key.
This may get you into the recovery mode.
You can navigate there using the up/down keys.

At least it's worth a try.

I'm sceptical that the recovery options built into these phones are reliable... or even operational.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones