My Personal Experience With the EVO 4G

Last Updated:

1. julian18d7

julian18d7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I bought an EVO towards the end of July and had been looking for one for a long time. I finally got one everything was perfect. Two days later I noticed light leakage. I returned it no problem got a new one put a case on and today I decided to take it off and have a look..... There is light leakage everywhere bottom and both sides. The EVO is an awesome phone but honestly the build quality was terrible. There were so many problems cracked power buttons, light leakage, terrible terrible battery (this is undeniable) screen separation and many other things. About the battery, I have done all the power saving things. Turned off synching for almost everything brihtness way down kill apps constantly put screen timeout at 15 seconds and turned off constant mobile networks. The battery is just unacceptable. The fps is capped at 30 frames I should NOT have to root my phone to get 60. This is a phone with a lot of potential. It was built poorly I can go on with MANY MANY more things but I don't wanna waste your time and im probably going to get flamed for sharing my experience. If anyone has had a flawless experience please share .

Advertisement
  2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

The light leakage issue is unacceptable. And I've seen people get hit by this over and over again even in their replacement phone. But this was really due to a bad batch. Depending on your region, it might have been the only batch received, which is why the replacements had the same problem. You got unlucky. I got my Evo in early June, and it did not have any hardware issues: no light leakage, no mushy power button, etc, no loose charge port, etc.

Battery life is not horrendous; the phone is just configured to use a lot of juice with its default configuration. This is the equivalent of LCD TVs set at full brightness/contrast when you buy them. It's been proven that if you make the appropriate settings, the battery life is significantly increased, and the life is comparable to other high-end smart phones. If yours is not up to snuff (not getting a full day), do some more research on battery saving tips.

Then there's the issue of the features of the Evo being superior to other phones; in particular: true multitasking, active GPS, 4G. The evo (android) does these things better than any other phone, but it comes with a cost, more battery drain. For the average user, I think the solution would be to equip the evo (and other androids) with a higher capacity stock battery (like a larger gas tank in an SUV) so it feels like you're getting more battery life. Also, an inclusion of a better sync/task manager would be nice; it would show ALL apps that pull data in the background, so you can make sure you catch and disable them.

30FPS is a huge limitation for me, but I've talked to enough people to know that some people can't perceive the difference between 30fps and 60fps. For me, it's night and day, and makes the evo feel really clunky and unpolished, especially next to the Apple products. Unfortunately the only way to get around it is to hack the kernel. HTC got lazy and didn't figure out how to preserve 60fps and allowing HDMI out. Maybe if they didn't try to crank out 69 phones every year and focused on a few good products, this would be a non-issue.

But I still think that overall, the Evo is an excellent device. I love playing with it, and it's the first phone I've ever owned where I feel like I have to keep tinkering with it to see what else it's capable of. So for me, it's a bit hard to put myself in the shoes of someone who's just using the phone to make calls, text, surf the internet, and play mp3s (not saying this is your usage pattern). Cause this machine can do some crazy things way beyond typical smartphone usage.

Rigmaster likes this.
  3. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

+1. I'd add to your points that Evo did quickly receive the Froyo update, as promised, and that Evo has raised the stakes for Android smartphones in a big way.

HTC will back off making so many phones soon though. I think they're finding out now that it's more profitable to be good a fewer phones than in the past.

There have been a lot of complaints about build issues, but I've been fortunate to have two with zero issues with hardware, OS, or updates (knocking wood as I type!) so it could be that some phones were rushed out too quickly. You can't knock that Sprint & HTC have done a decent job replacing them though.

The biggest pro for Evo though is that it's gotten people like me to consider Sprint as a real player in the wireless carrier segment. I broke a 15+ year connection with AT&T, and I've never looked back or been more satisfied with the value and performance as I am now. Oh, and it cost me significantly less for more features and a better phone (not an iPhan).

Sorry the OP didn't have the same experience. There are plenty of us out here who haven't had issues though.:D

4. julian18d7

julian18d7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wow I'm surprised I didn't get flamed. thanks for sharingyout experiences I love my evo despite the problems I would not put up with these problems for any other device. Thanks again though.

5. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

now .. tell us the good things that you have experienced to add to your review.. so it is not all negative. :D

to fend off the flaming. :p

6. madiom

madiom Well-Known Member

My EVO has worked flawlessly from the start. Sometimes I read these post and wonder if I am the only person that got a good phone. Good to see there are others out there. The phone does use a lot of juice but that was to be expected (same way I know that a Hummer doesn't get the same MPG as a Civic. I repleaced a Blackberry and Ipod touch (amongst other things) with this one device. I actually used to carry a work and personal phone but with everything the EVO does I just merged into one. When I showed my work everything my EVO did they agreed to reimburse me monthly for my plan.

The only bad thing I can say about this phone is that it may cause me to get divorced. I can t put it down and think my wife is starting to get jealous. I think the only way I might be able to fix the relationship is to get her her own EVO (once I can find one).