• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My personal kernel findings.

bose301s

Feb 8, 2010
Well, I have been experimenting with Bekit's and Chevy's 1GHz kernels and have found some interesting results. On my phone performance on BB V1 is the same whether using the Bekit or Chevy 1GHz kernel, however battery life is SIGNIFICANTLY shorter under Bekit, we're talking 20-30% less remaining battery after the same period of time while using Bekit's kernel instead of Chevy's kernel. I may test this under JRummy Cyanogen ROM as well, but not sure if I want to yet, just figured I would report this here.

I've been using P3Droid's 1.2GHz kernel over NexBeast (BBV1) for the last 2 days now, and the battery life is superb and it runs cool.

So far today, 11h off the charger: 1 hr screen on, 10 mins talk time, some texts, some emails, some browsing, some music, etc (moderate usage)

and still 50% !

Pretty impressive, IMO.

I just installed the 1GHz on mines running 900MHz. When I had your previous ROM based of Pete's ESE81, it ran superb. So I'm gonna stick with it now. My phone was definitely cooler, and battery went a long time.

Upvote 0
I just started out with custom ROMs a couple of days ago. I've been using CM 5.0.6.2 with a low voltage bekit kernel, but I just decided to try a P3Droid kernel. I was able to select a voltage with the bekit kernels. Are all of the P3Droid kernels low voltage?

Yep. All of them. They run pretty cool though. My Droid being on the charging profile on SetCPU at 700Mhz my temp is 25 degrees C, or 77 degrees F. If I were to bring it out of sleep it may get even cooler. There's been a few cool nights lately, so in the mornings I'm sometimes waking up with 60 something degrees F, or like 18 degrees C. I have mines set at 900MHz as a max setting, and I generally get around 110 degrees F tops after browsing or playing a few games. But yeah, all of them at LV.

Upvote 0
Sweet. I was using the low-voltage five slot 1.1 GHz kernal, as I recall. I know I was at 1.0 for a bit, but I think I moved it up to 1.1. At the moment I'm using the P3Droid 1.0 kernel. We'll see how it goes. i'll probably go faster tomorrow. It seems to be pretty snappy at the moment.

Yeah, it's a pretty consistent kernel. I actually like it. Works best out of all of the kernels I've used....(Chevy, Adamz, BeKit, and P3Droid). It's ran the coolest for me, plus I get wired tethering, something BeKit also offers, but it's still cooler temp wise. Battery life was always good for me also.

Upvote 0
I just switched from the Bekit 1.0Ghz LV kernel to a P3Droid 1.2Ghz kernel (running NexBeast). I've definitely noticed a decrease in temperature and better battery life. When I was running the Bekit kernel I'd lose 20-30% of my battery while it was sitting at standby most of the day when I'm at work. Running the P3Droid kernel (at nearly the same max/min setting for standby) I lost 10% throughout the day.

Upvote 0
I'm still trying to figure out why SetCPU won't go over 1.0 GHz on the P3Droid 1100 kernel. I'll try the 1.2 GHz kernel and see what happens.

EDIT: Okay, 1200 works for me. I can go up to 1.2 GHz with SetCPU with this kernel. I'll give this a spin for a while and see what happens.

I had the same issue with the P3 1.1 kernel. Couldn't go over 1 GHz.

The 1.2 seems to be okay in regard to setting the speed, but now I'm seeing a bug that occurred for me in I think it was Chevy's LV kernels -- "Battery Usage" isn't reporting apps, just native Android processes -- Display, Cell Standby, Phone Idle, etc.

Anybody else getting this with the P3Droid kernels?

Upvote 0
I had the same issue with the P3 1.1 kernel. Couldn't go over 1 GHz.

The 1.2 seems to be okay in regard to setting the speed, but now I'm seeing a bug that occurred for me in I think it was Chevy's LV kernels -- "Battery Usage" isn't reporting apps, just native Android processes -- Display, Cell Standby, Phone Idle, etc.

Anybody else getting this with the P3Droid kernels?

I'm using the 1.2Ghz P3Droid kernel as well and I just checked and I'm seeing the same thing. My battery usage is being reported as DISPLAY, PHONE IDLE, CELL STANDBY, ANDROID SYSTEM, VOICE CALLS, and ANDROID OS. It no longer lists apps I have running in the background (like Helix Launcher 2, SetCPU, Beautiful Widgets, live wallpapers, etc.). Yet all of those things are indeed running when I check the list of running services. Anyone know why this might happen?

Upvote 0
The title of the thread is apt, as it seems pretty common for folks to have differing results w/the same kernels, likely due to variables that they don't realize are affecting results, and differences between phones (like the type that allow some to run really fast kernels that send other phones into boot loops)...

I think the only kernel feedback that really matters is what you see from results on your own phone - I'd encourage folks to try different kernels for themselves and see the results, and not assume that other's results are going to be mirrored on their phone.

Upvote 0
The title of the thread is apt, as it seems pretty common for folks to have differing results w/the same kernels, likely due to variables that they don't realize are affecting results, and differences between phones (like the type that allow some to run really fast kernels that send other phones into boot loops)...

I think the only kernel feedback that really matters is what you see from results on your own phone - I'd encourage folks to try different kernels for themselves and see the results, and not assume that other's results are going to be mirrored on their phone.

Agreed personal kernel findings are just that personal. Other droids will have completely opposite findings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones