• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My phone didn't ship with Voice Search, GPlay thinks it did!

NotDeadYet

Jul 17, 2012
Both of my DINCs (OG which is gone and 4G) shipped with Voice Dialer and Voice Search (I think so on the latter) but I don't have Voice Search on my current DINC. So I go to the evil Google Play, and find that the app is listed as "Installed", even though it isn't on my phone, and then it won't offer any app management functions (open, uninstall, reinstall)!

Compared to the sparse alternatives out there excepting Vlingo, it was a great app because it did two important things - it found location-specific places, and it launched my apps too! Excepting Vlingo, there don't seem to be others which do that, or even do one of these well, although there are scads which make stupid remarks when you talk - very frustrating!

I would substitute Vlingo for this Google app, but it will not rotate the screen for me (why would a dev deny you this anyway). This is very important for my driving needs - I mount my phone over the steering column, so that I always have an eye on the road in front of me, and I'm not willing to change that, but this mount requires the landscape mode!

It looks as though there are two approaches to the problem, and at both I am exasperatedly stuck. I can try and get Voice Search back somehow, or find an alternative which works for me (location search, launch apps, rotate screen). Please help if you can, it's appreciated!

Mods please note: Yes, I posted this in Droid Incredible 4G forum as well, only because I wasn't sure if it was phone specific (which I now doubt), and failing that condition it's not a very populated forum - please don't beat me up for that just this time!
user_offline.gif

Sponsors

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones