• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Phone Explorer - can't connect via wifi

Pinmac1

Android Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2011
UK
I downloaded My Phone Explorer as I wanted a backup of all my Google data. I couldn't get it to connect via wifi so did the initial sync via USB cable. I have tried again via wifi but no joy. I followed the instructions on the MPE website, but when I try to connect via wifi, I get "Connection to phone could not be established: Failed to obtain the ip-address of the phone. SocketError:10060 - The attempt to connect timed out."

I have tried to connect using Wifi and auto-detect and fixed ip-address. I have changed the standby mode to avoid standby mode as recommended on the MPE website.

Does anyone have any further suggestions please?

I take it you've been on the forum there and tried all the suggestions? Like reboot router, pc, phone, etc? Can you 'ping' the phone from the PC at all? If not then there's something more fundamental wrong. Firewall blocking things for instance.

I set my router to assign ip addresses via dhcp BUT I 'bind by mac address' for specific devices such as my phone (you'll have to check your router manual to see if yours will do this) so it always gets the same ip (note that it's not a 'fixed ip' in the sense that the phone always has that ip everywhere - just on my wifi network).

Whatever you do, make sure you can see the phone first.

Dave

Upvote 0
Pardon my curiosity OP, but what google data are you looking to back up? Like, your contacts and whatnot? If so, is there a reason you don't just let them sync with google? No knock, again I'm just curious

Can't speak for the OP's reasoning but Google saves them "in the cloud" somewhere. With MPE it means he has a local copy on his PC. Much safer and more reliable as a backup medium IMHO ....

Dave

Upvote 0
Rebooting the router finally solved the problem for me too. Thanks. So obvious but I missed it (whacks side of head repeatedly, falls to the floor, chews carpet, etc).

And amen to those comments about MyPhoneExplorer (MPE). Been using it for years and wouldn't use anything else. Obviates need for cloud solutions which depend on an internet connection and involve passing my private data to ill-defined services (ill-defined because their Terms & Conditions can change at any time). Any cloud services I need run on my constantly-backed-up, internet-accessible and inexpensive NAS at home.

Reactions: Vukan97
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones