• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My phone hates 3G

Dman861

Apr 28, 2011
I'm having a very hard time connecting to 3G with my phone. When I first bought it and activated it had no problem connecting when i was at home, out driving, and at work. But recently its become nearly impossible to connect. I haven't been able to connect at my work in over a week. I have no problem getting 1x connection, but god it's slow (speedtest.net app says down is .04 MBPS, 649 ping) I have checked the coverage map on the Virgin Mobile website and i am clearly within the coverage area for 3G. I've tried dialing *#*#4636#*#* and forcing it to connect only to EvDo. It will go through a cycle of displaying 3G in the notification bar for 10-15 secs, drop for a long time, and repeat. My phone is rooted and I have the 8/31 build of Backside ROM.

Just ignore this post if I'm mistaken, since I'm pretty much a new user when it comes to all of this. lol

But um... I have an optimus V and my dad has one, and we both occasionally lose 3G connection. The connection *will not* reconnect unless we turn on airplane mode, wait 15 seconds, and turn it back on. That was a solution I found from searching online. If your problem is different or more deep, like I said, ignore this. XD But that's what works for us. It has to do with a problem with VM's service where the device will drop 3G connection and doesn't know how to reconnect. Or something like that.

Upvote 0
The only time I lose 3G on my OpV is when something is going on with the network (which is not very often). My roomate has the Intercept through Sprint, my daughter has my Intercept through Virgin Mobile, and I have the OpV though Virgin Mobile. When I lose my 3G, they've lost theirs as well.

I do want to add though that any time I have to reboot my phone (very rarely), I always do the trick listed here when it boots back up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones