My phone is being a little douche, what's the safest way to erase and start over?

Last Updated: 2012-01-25 22:49:57
  1. Dman861

Dman861 Active Member

My phone has been experiencing frequent force close when opening nearly all apps, slow lagging performance, lower reception since I tried updating the PRL, jumbled up sd card, etc & etc.. and im just tired of it. It may not help, and i dont care, but i just want to erase everything and have a fresh clean install with Backside IHO. My phone is rooted and im running Backside with Clockwork Recovery 3.2.0.1 right now. I've backed everything up with Titanium Backup and even copied all contents of the SD card to my pc. What's the safest way to erase it all and start over?

Advertisement
  2. brotherswing

brotherswing Well-Known Member

Follow Jerryscript's instructions for flashing from a different rom. When you reboot, go into market, reinstall Titanium Backup and restore all your user apps (no system apps!) That ought to do it. ;)
  3. Dman861

Dman861 Active Member

Will this step delete all contents from my SD card (maybe except for essential system files and folders) as that's what im looking for. My SD card is a mess with tons of random empty folders and files from long uninstalled apps.
  4. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

No it won't as long as you dont select wipe sd, which the option is there.
  5. brotherswing

If you want to start over with your sd card, just pop it into a PC and erase it there.
  6. koopakid08

koopakid08 Well-Known Member

To erase your SD card go into settings-storage then unmount your SD card and then select format.
  7. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Do not forget to keep your Nandroid backup along with the last best working backup from within your recovery backup folder.
  8. Dman861

Dman861 Active Member

Wiped my phone, formatted my SD card, and reinstalled Backside today (after making a nandroid backup of course). It is running SO much better. I can open an app without constant slowdowns and force closes now. Should have done this a long time ago, durr.
  9. cammykool

cammykool Well-Known Member

what happens if i click "wipe data/factory reset" with BACKside? will it restore backside or stock rom? backside right?
  10. brotherswing

In recovery? BACKside. In the phone? Brick.
  11. benslgdroid

Recovery= blank nothing there, need to flash new rom
    Phone= brick no more phone
  12. brotherswing

Come to think of it, Jerry removed the instabrick option from the rom, so this has to be in recovery.
  13. benslgdroid

If anyone could find it its cammy ;)
  14. cammykool

easy! but yes i bet i could... :p
  15. brotherswing

To really address the question, though, when you do a factory reset all it does is wipe the data and cache partitions. It doesn't touch the system partition, which is where the rom lives.
  16. cammykool

so it would be like flashing the rom brand new again like the OP wants to do?
  17. benslgdroid

Blarfs recovery does. It doesn't really "factory reset" he lumped all the wiping tasks sans sd card all in one. Never used any other except xionia but that was before I knew what I was doing and never really used it.
  18. brotherswing

I should have specified, I use CWM, and that's how mine handles it.