My phone is convinced that I'm in Chattanooga, TN... I live in Jersey!

Last Updated:

1. MarvinAndroid

MarvinAndroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm trapped in friggin Chattanooga and I can't get out. I've rebooted.. I've uninstalled maps... no matter what I do I always end up by some highway 153 in Chattanooga. Now I'm sure Chattanooga is a nice place and all (never been there) but I would much rather have my Beautiful Widgets show the weather and temp in freaking New Jersey where I actually live! I don't care if it's 91 degrees in Tennessee!

Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. Joewoowoo

Joewoowoo Well-Known Member

not sure if this will change anything but open your browser and on the google home page right under the search block it should say location , try editing that and see if it changes your location on hte phone . I love tha fact that my phone knows im from Jersey ! hahah

3. bikemonkeys

bikemonkeys Member

Saturday my phone thought I was in New Mexico. Problem was I wasn't, though it would have been an hour closer to where I was going in Texas.

4. MarvinAndroid

Hmm.. it seemed to happen about the same time that I installed LauncherPro so I tried to get rid of that but it didn't really help. Eventually after uninstalling Maps updates and re-installing them, then rebooting, the signing out and back into latitude.. eventually it showed me in the correct place. Then half an hour later it showed me back in Chattanooga! What is it with my phone and Chattanooga? Strange stuff going on here. It must have something to do with LauncherPro though because I never had this problem until I installed that.

5. dshel61

dshel61 Well-Known Member

Well it IS a smartphone. Maybe IT wants to be in Chattanooga.

6. MarvinAndroid

^ Hah.. maybe it's a magic phone? And I will be in Chattanooga in the near future? Wouldn't it be strange if I suddenly received a call from a company in Chattanooga and they offer me a job? That would be creepy.

7. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

Has your wife been out of town lately?

8. hexon

hexon Well-Known Member

I'd venture to say Chattanooga is a much nicer place to live than Jersey :). Your Droid would feel safer there.

9. keepervq

keepervq Active Member

SEE ROCK CITY. Welcome to Tennessee.

10. TharOosta

TharOosta Well-Known Member

Where exactly does it say? I'm 2 minutes from 153.

11. proginski

proginski Active Member

Maybe you should trade phones...lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

12. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

It's a sign from the Android gods that you belong there. I'm a former Jersey guy, myself.

Also, I doubt it will help your problem, but if you have your GPS on, try holding it up to the sky and doing figure 8s in the air. It resets your position more accurately.

13. MarvinAndroid

It put me just to the West of Route 153 in a place called Hixon I think. I can't help but wonder... why that exact spot? Did it maybe swap me somehow with some other Google Maps user?

Today.. I seem to be back in New Jersey so maybe it's fixed itself? And to somebody comments above.. I wouldn't be surprised if Chattanooga is nicer than a big chunk of Jersey. :) But I live in the Northern part which is actually quite nice.

14. ilmar72

ilmar72 Well-Known Member

I can help.

Download the "gps test" by "mike Lockwood" from the market. run the test for a little while then Go into the settings and "clear aiding data" and run the test again.
    Shut off phone. pull battery. wait one minute.

Rebootm ,Try GPS now.

15. kokiangel

kokiangel Well-Known Member

Woo hoo! Gotta love Tennessee. See Ruby Falls.

16. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Got a Verizon Network Extender? Yeah. That's what's doing it.

17. pbwhite

pbwhite Well-Known Member

Is the "aiding data" the almanac data that can become stale? If so, this is a great tip, as I haven't seen any other way to force a refresh of the almanac data, and I've seen some pretty bad errors in location on occasion.

Unfortunately, I did also see that the GPSTest program utilized GPS in the background after I closed the program, and it didn't show up on the running apps list - not sure why, but the GPS icon did turn off when I uninstalled.

18. ilmar72

ilmar72 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. I do however know that I had the same exact problem as the OP did except for it thought that I was in boston. I found a post on another forum instructing to Use that gps and it worked after a battery pull. I currently have the gps test installed but never have run it since the problem I had months ago.