• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My phone is missing some setting options

DaxMan

Nov 25, 2015
I'm an Android novice so I am looking for some advice if possible

I recently purchased a Daxian W189 Android mobile phone , its a copy of a Samsung G9092

The phones information ....

Phone%20Info1_zpsilp9xgnm.jpg

The problem I have with this phone is that I would like to change the phones Life Companion lock screen wording shown below

Life%20Screen1_zpswevhla8t.jpg

Which from what ive read the settings for the Life Companion can be found here ...​

Go to Settings > My device>Lock screen>Lock screen widgets

when I go to > my device the only settings that are available are these shown below ...

Device%20Settings1_zpsgkf3arvq.jpg

There's no sign of any lock screen settings option any where , and it all so seems that there are several other setting options missing as well.

I have no password set to unlock the phone.

So I was wondering ...
:rolleyes:

On the original sales information about the phone stated that if the phone was updated or flashed the phones warranty would become void .

In the phones settings it has the option for a wireless update as shown below

Phone%20update1_zpskcuqqkcn.jpg

I'm not worried about loosing the warranty , so I was wondering what would happen to the phone if I tried the wireless update and if the update was successful would the phone then some how give me the option to change the phones life companion lock screen wording by now seeing the lock screen settings option and the other current missing setting options.

Of course my main concern would be that after updating the phone it becomes '' Bricked '' and not usable any more:eek:

Any comments or advice would be most welcome

Many Thanks

I mean screen lock, not carrier lock. Do you see any contextual menu or link while dragging the word up and down ?

I don't see any thing other than the small padlock when I drag the wording downwards , nothing happens if I drag the wording upwards , but if I first drag the wording downwards and see the small padlock , then drag sidewards I get this one by one in this order ..

s2_zpsd6jbhsvk.jpg

Drag a second time sidewards I then get this ..

s1_zpscogpij06.jpg

Then drag sidewards in the same direction for a third time , I then get this ......

s3_zpswzpvirtu.jpg

The clock background is normally on my home screen .

If I try to drag sidewards any more times , nothing happens .

Thanks

Upvote 0
I've been thinking, the wording can be changed from the screen look widget, if you can't find that menu then your phone is indeed missing a lot of things.

Do you feel like wanting to update the software?

Thanks for you patience :)

The problem lies in the fact that there seems to be no screen lock setting / widget options at all in the setting options .

I thought and may be hoped that if I did do an update from the phone , it may then install an update that contains the normal setting options from another Android version .

But I'm not really sure if I want to pull the Russian Roulette trigger and get shot with a bricking bullet :eek:

I have managed to find the phones current ROM from here ..

http://www.needrom.com/download/daxian-w189/

and downloaded it .

But that's as far as Ive got :(

Upvote 0
Bear in mind that this is a clone, so if the setting you are looking for is one that the Samsung would have there is no reason to assume the clone has it. A clone phone is designed to look superficially like the original, but has nothing in common internally and isn't running actual Samsung software. So it's possible the manufacturer stuck that silly slogan on the lockscreen because it was on the original but provided no way of removing it.

There are replacement lockscreen apps in the Play Store, have you tried that?

Upvote 0
Bear in mind that this is a clone, so if the setting you are looking for is one that the Samsung would have there is no reason to assume the clone has it. A clone phone is designed to look superficially like the original, but has nothing in common internally and isn't running actual Samsung software. So it's possible the manufacturer stuck that silly slogan on the lockscreen because it was on the original but provided no way of removing it.

There are replacement lockscreen apps in the Play Store, have you tried that?

Thanks for the comment :)

I think I'm getting mixed up between the [ Life Companion Screen ] and [ Lock Screen ]

There is a built in option in this phone to set a screen lock password or pattern , ive just tried it and it shows in the photo below ...

Lock%20Screen%20Pattern%20_zpsrsgjl440.jpg

There seems no option in the device settings to alter / remove the Life Companion Screen .

One thing ive not mentioned is that when I just single tap the Life Companion screen ( not swipe ) where I tapped , a sort of coloured flash appearers on screen and a quick musical sound plays , I think this may be some thing that Samsung Android phones may have .

Like you say may be I'm stuck with the current Android version that has been modified . :(

Upvote 0
Have you ever done an update from the phone ?
Never, the operator sells the phones in limited quantity (usually with a prepaid plan) and they don't provide update. Those phones are cheap and intended to be replaced every year so they (both operator and manufacturer) don't bother with upgrades. They loaded the phones with the most stable and complete OS of the time they are made and forget it, because the phones for next order will be completely different.

Upvote 0
You can most likely change the Lock Screen Image, look for that.
Likely the 'life companion' is just on the image it is using.

Thanks for the suggestion , after seeing your comment I tried a few more things inside the limited device settings and came across for the first time this option shown below..

Owner%20Info%20menu1_zpszkjftemg.jpg

when I tapped the '' Owner Info '' it took me to this screen shown below ....

Owner%20Info%20Type1_zpsmvwpplrc.jpg

Where the words '' Life Companion '' were showing , so I removed those typed words and went back to the original Lock Screen where the words had now gone .

I then selected a wallpaper image and I was then shown the option shown below ...

Lock%20Screen%20Menu1_zpsklznrn79.jpg

I selected '' LockScreen '' and went back to the lock screen and this below was what I got ...

Lock%20Screen%20Changed1_zpsrczgpu96.jpg

So the words '' Life Companion '' had now gone and I had a new image to :)

So now with every one's kind help here , ive achieved my original goal of changing the lock screen wording , but I'm still convinced that there's possibly more useful device options that I don't currently have on this phone.

One other thing I can't seem to find the answer to is , how do I install extra wallpaper images on my phone
any one have an idea ? .

Upvote 0
Never, the operator sells the phones in limited quantity (usually with a prepaid plan) and they don't provide update. Those phones are cheap and intended to be replaced every year so they (both operator and manufacturer) don't bother with upgrades. They loaded the phones with the most stable and complete OS of the time they are made and forget it, because the phones for next order will be completely different.

Thanks for that , every time I this setting shown below .....

WP_20151126_048_zpshegtzpiz.jpg

my finger hovers over the Check for updates :rolleyes:

but ive never yet had the nerve :D

Upvote 0
If your phone is stable enough don't bother with updates.

Good advice :)

I must try and get out of my tinkering mentality that in the past has lead to once working phones being forever resigned to the Old Gadget Draw to gather dust .

Off Android topic , this little beauty ended its working days in the fabled Old Gadget Draw due to my tinkering :(

Screen%20shot%202015-11-27%20at%202.03.14%20PM_zpsjei1bylv.jpg

Upvote 0
As mentioned, with devices such as these, there's not really any support and an update could prove to be fatal for the device..

I am curious about where this update is coming from though because you wouldn't receive updates directly from Google so it would most likely be from the manufacturer. But these knockoff devices usually don't really receive any updates or support generally, but I don't really know anything about this manufacturer. It's possible that they are releasing updates but not a usually a common deal.

If you did actually receive an update from the manufacturer, I would tend to think it would be legitimate and most likely safe, but with no resources (factory images) and no way to recover in the event of something going wrong, it probably isn't worth the risk to find out.

My curiosity is driving me crazy though at the moment.

Reactions: DaxMan
Upvote 0
The Phones only a few days old and the last thing I want is it to end up in the '' Old Gadget '' draw with the rest of my mistakes o_O

Problem is, if this whatever update goes tits up, you've got a bricked device that has to be re-flashed completely, if possible. And if it can't, you're buying a new phone. Daxian has a support site, but that might depend on how fluent your Mandarin is.
http://www.daxiantelecom.com/contact.asp
I'm in China, but Daxian is a phone I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

EDIT:

Your phone is only a few days old, I now think it could indeed be an "Old Gadget" you've got there. A little bit more digging seems to indicate that Dalian Daxian Telecom Co. Ltd. went out of business two or three years ago. Their contact number is disconnected, and website doesn't look like it's been updated in about three years as well. So no support at all and given that, my advice is you should NOT attempt to update it. Because if it goes wrong, the phone is dead, forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaxMan
Upvote 0
Problem is, if this whatever update goes tits up, you've got a bricked device that has to be re-flashed completely, if possible. And if it can't, you're buying a new phone. Daxian has a support site, but that might depend on how fluent your Mandarin is.
http://www.daxiantelecom.com/contact.asp
I'm in China, but Daxian is a phone I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

EDIT:

Your phone is only a few days old, I now think it could indeed be an "Old Gadget" you've got there. A little bit more digging seems to indicate that Dalian Daxian Telecom Co. Ltd. went out of business two or three years ago. Their contact number is disconnected, and website doesn't look like it's been updated in about three years as well. So no support at all and given that, my advice is you should NOT attempt to update it. Because if it goes wrong, the phone is dead, forever.

Thanks for taking the time to check that out , it seems the best policy is to now just use the phone as it is and put all thoughts of using the update option out of the window .

This style of a flip phone with a dual SIM and dual screen is some thing I have in only a few days come to like but the genuine phones seem to all be expensive

Screen%20shot%202015-11-27%20at%209.30.13%20PM_zpsiouswdmc.jpg

Upvote 0
Samsung have just released a phone like that in China (in the last week), so if it's that model then it's not surprising it's expensive - new plus only available in some regions means that some people will pay a premium, and hence high prices.

But they also produced a very similar one 2 years ago, and if it's that one then it's a serious rip-off. And web searches tend to produce confused results about this, but I think that may well be the 2013 version.

In any event, I'd be careful when buying something like that from eBay, and check compatibility carefully when buying a phone that was only released for one region as it may not fully support the network you wish to use it on.

Genuine phones will cost more: the companies use more expensive manufacturing techniques, have much larger staff and marketing budgets to support, actually spend money on quality assurance and warranty services, software updates, etc. Most clones are knocked together out of whatever components are cheapest at the time, with zero R&D, quality assurance or support. It's an entirely different sort of business. Now I'm not saying that the brands' pricings are always defensible, but it's not at all surprising that there's a big gap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones