• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MY PHONE IS SCREWED! please help!

diowk

Aug 22, 2010
I tried shut my phone off then restarted it while holding the home key at the same time as the power key to see if anything different happened (it was stupid, I know) What I didnt realize was I forgot to disconnect the USB from my computer; not sure if this caused the problem or if it was me holding the home key down. Now my phone is stuck on a black screen with a picture of a phone with a red triangle and eclamation point on it. What the hell happened to my phone? I tried taking the back plate off so I can remove the battery but there doesnt seem to be a way to do it. It wont come off so I cant pull the battery and put it back in. Its brand new and Im freaking out. Can someone please help me!?

You've just booted into recovery, that's all. (Home + Power --> Recovery, Back + Power --> Fastboot). It's not really a stupid thing to do, a lot of us here boot into recovery all the time.

You might be able to reboot from the recovery menu by holding the power button, or by selecting the option to shutdown with the trackball (I'm not sure what options are on there). Failing that pulling the battery will do it.

Are you using a CDMA hero? I say that because this is the GSM Hero section and we all had to take the backs off to put SIM cards in.

Upvote 0
I assume that your phone is the GSM Hero and not the Sprint Hero.

If it is the GSM, the back cover comes off very easily, easiest of any phone that I have owned. On the top edge of the phone is a little indent in the middle. Using your nail just gently pull this towards the back, does not need a lot of pressure, and the cover will pop off, allowing you to remove the battery.

Upvote 0
First things first.... don't panic! Take deep breaths.... :)

There should be a thin "slot" at the top of the handset next to the 3.5mm jack socket. Just stick a fingernail in that and gently prise the back of the handset away from the body, then it should easily come off the remaining clips. Now you can pull the battery and regain control.

To refit the back, simply reverse the procedure i.e. attach it at the bottom then press it onto the handset body, finishing at the top. It will 'snap' into place quite easily.

Upvote 0
It's not really a boot as such; it doesn't load the android OS. It's another behind-the-scenes sort of screen like the recovery menu.

I'm not 100% sure what it's for, but its the screen that pops up when you're installing an official firmware. The white screen with the three skateboarding androids.

There's also flashboot (volume down + power), which you can use to flash firmware without a PC (on a GSM Hero anyway).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones