• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "My phone number" issue

D

Deleted User

Here's a tricky looking bug which - so far - SE support haven't been able to help me with.

I got my X10 on a new contract (with 3 UK) and got a new mobile number with it. I then ported my existing number over with a PUK code. This took a couple of days, and while I was waiting I mucked about with the phone using the new number that 3 had given me.

After the PUK transfer took place, my X10 still thinks that "My number" in the phonebook is the new number that 3 UK gave me, not the one I subsequently ported across.

So, if I go into the phonebook the bit at the top where it says "My number" is wrong. I can edit that default contact, but there's no option to edit the main phone number for it - all I can do is add extra numbers.

I've been digging around a bit, and I found the phone number set in Settings > About phone > Status. Again, it can't be edited here. It's also viewable (but not editable) through the Service menu (#*#*4636*#*#).

It's not a big deal, but it's annoying because it doesn't recognise "me" in Timescape when looking at messaging conversations with someone (on the Infinity button).

So, any ideas? So far all SE support have said is the standard "check you've got an up-to-date SIM card" (which I have, and which is what they always say when they're trying to get rid of someone).

I tried a factory reset - didn't work :(

I hooked the phone up to SEUS but it didn't give me an update. I decided not to completely the software.

SE support are still saying that I need to get a replacement SIM from 3 UK. They say that the number is read directly from the SIM and is not editable. I'd prefer not to have to go back to 3UK to get a replacement SIM - I don't know whether they'll even do that.

Upvote 0
Here's a tricky looking bug which - so far - SE support haven't been able to help me with.

I got my X10 on a new contract (with 3 UK) and got a new mobile number with it. I then ported my existing number over with a PUK code. This took a couple of days, and while I was waiting I mucked about with the phone using the new number that 3 had given me.

After the PUK transfer took place, my X10 still thinks that "My number" in the phonebook is the new number that 3 UK gave me, not the one I subsequently ported across.

So, if I go into the phonebook the bit at the top where it says "My number" is wrong. I can edit that default contact, but there's no option to edit the main phone number for it - all I can do is add extra numbers.

I've been digging around a bit, and I found the phone number set in Settings > About phone > Status. Again, it can't be edited here. It's also viewable (but not editable) through the Service menu (#*#*4636*#*#).

It's not a big deal, but it's annoying because it doesn't recognise "me" in Timescape when looking at messaging conversations with someone (on the Infinity button).

So, any ideas? So far all SE support have said is the standard "check you've got an up-to-date SIM card" (which I have, and which is what they always say when they're trying to get rid of someone).

Next to my number, my phone says 'SIM card unavailable' even though it is working fine!

Upvote 0
Just seen this post and yes mine also says sim unavailable but after a long call to O2 it turns out that I have a G2 sim card in my phone not the G3 it should have and this is the only reason they can think of or see why I have this problem, they are sending me a new sim out today so we will see :)

Can u plz let us knw if u get it working when u get the SIM.

Upvote 0
Your phone read the number originally assigned to the sim card you were sent in the first place,When you port the number from another operator then the network will recognise your sim and tunnel calls from and to your fone.I got the same problem with my x10i and i think it is a bug fone dont get the number direct from network rather it reads it from sim card

Upvote 0
Same problem, on Vodafone uk. Definitely a new sim card cos I've only just joined them (to get the x10 early) after 8 years with o2. It was annoying trying to remember my number unless it was written down or could call someone next to me lol At least I've memorised it now! :p

why did you not ask o2 for p.a.c portable access code to keep your old number?

3 networks same number for me...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones