"My phone number" issueSupport

Last Updated:

1. voodoomike

voodoomike Member This Topic's Starter

Here's a tricky looking bug which - so far - SE support haven't been able to help me with.

I got my X10 on a new contract (with 3 UK) and got a new mobile number with it. I then ported my existing number over with a PUK code. This took a couple of days, and while I was waiting I mucked about with the phone using the new number that 3 had given me.

After the PUK transfer took place, my X10 still thinks that "My number" in the phonebook is the new number that 3 UK gave me, not the one I subsequently ported across.

So, if I go into the phonebook the bit at the top where it says "My number" is wrong. I can edit that default contact, but there's no option to edit the main phone number for it - all I can do is add extra numbers.

I've been digging around a bit, and I found the phone number set in Settings > About phone > Status. Again, it can't be edited here. It's also viewable (but not editable) through the Service menu (#*#*4636*#*#).

It's not a big deal, but it's annoying because it doesn't recognise "me" in Timescape when looking at messaging conversations with someone (on the Infinity button).

So, any ideas? So far all SE support have said is the standard "check you've got an up-to-date SIM card" (which I have, and which is what they always say when they're trying to get rid of someone).

Advertisement
  2. Smg

Smg Well-Known Member

Looks like all thats gonna do it is a Reset?.

3. voodoomike

I tried a factory reset - didn't work :(

I hooked the phone up to SEUS but it didn't give me an update. I decided not to completely the software.

SE support are still saying that I need to get a replacement SIM from 3 UK. They say that the number is read directly from the SIM and is not editable. I'd prefer not to have to go back to 3UK to get a replacement SIM - I don't know whether they'll even do that.

4. F1NinjaTZS

F1NinjaTZS Member

I'm afraid I have no solution for this, but if it helps to know you're not on your own I also have exactly the same problem after taking a new contract with T-Mobile then porting my number. I have tried absolutely everything to get the original "my number" to change and, you're right, nothing works. :mad:

5. sleepless

sleepless Well-Known Member

Don't worry, it will eventualy change. When my number was ported over (tmobile), it took a month before the x10 receognised the ported number and now that is what it is.

Be patient :)

voodoomike likes this.
  6. voodoomike

Cool - thanks for the info. I'll keep my eye on it to see if it switches automatically, and update this thread when it does.

7. pinetowncop

pinetowncop Member

Next to my number, my phone says 'SIM card unavailable' even though it is working fine!

8. Katchin

Katchin Member

same here

9. cojo37

cojo37 Member

Same here

10. cestode

cestode Active Member

same here
    Any ideas anyone?

11. voodoomike

Three weeks later and my numbe
    r still hasn't changed.

SE Support are adamant that i need to replace my SIM. I'll keep waiting and see if it changes on it's own (and post the result here if it does).

12. Hunted

Hunted Well-Known Member

Yeah mine says sim unavailable or no sim lol although my previous phone did take a dip in the bath so ...... lol

13. TommySixx81

TommySixx81 Well-Known Member

Same problem, on Vodafone uk. Definitely a new sim card cos I've only just joined them (to get the x10 early) after 8 years with o2. It was annoying trying to remember my number unless it was written down or could call someone next to me lol At least I've memorised it now! :p

14. F1NinjaTZS

F1NinjaTZS Member

A month to the day since my last post and I notice my number's changed! Don't know when it happened, probably only in the last few days but there it is - my "new" ported old number showing where the new number that came with the phone used to be.

15. tracey1987

tracey1987 Member

Mine also says "sim unavailable" instead of my number

16. Dunc-x10

Dunc-x10 Well-Known Member

Just seen this post and yes mine also says sim unavailable but after a long call to O2 it turns out that I have a G2 sim card in my phone not the G3 it should have and this is the only reason they can think of or see why I have this problem, they are sending me a new sim out today so we will see :)

17. Gavilaaar

Gavilaaar Member

Interesting. I may give o2 a call myself and see it they'll do the same for me. It's quite annoying when someone asks for ur number and u have to look through your phonebook to find it.

18. TommySixx81

Hey all, meant to post an update yesterday but been busy. I got a message from vodafone saying there was a sim update. Well i checked my number n it has been updated. It's now a random mix of letters n numbers lmao

19. Gavilaaar

Gavilaaar Member

Can u plz let us knw if u get it working when u get the SIM.

20. Dunc-x10

Yeah course I well m8 should be here tommrrow or friday :)

21. scorpion100

scorpion100 Well-Known Member

Your phone read the number originally assigned to the sim card you were sent in the first place,When you port the number from another operator then the network will recognise your sim and tunnel calls from and to your fone.I got the same problem with my x10i and i think it is a bug fone dont get the number direct from network rather it reads it from sim card

22. Hunted

Hunted Well-Known Member

why did you not ask o2 for p.a.c portable access code to keep your old number?

3 networks same number for me...

23. mbailey

mbailey Member

I had the same thing, but then it went away.

The way to fix is to take the SIM card out the phone, and put in a different SIM card and turn the phone on. Turn off and put back the original SIM card and it will be fixed.

Worked for me.

24. TommySixx81

Hunted: I didn't keep my old number as I was getting random calls etc n decided best just to change numbers

25. Dunc-x10

Got my new sim and it still says sim unavailable :(