"My Phone Number" reporting incorrectlySupport

Last Updated:

1. theartfullodger

theartfullodger Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Guys 'n Gals.. (drove past one of Jimmy Savile's houses today.,..)

My Nexus One reports "My phone number"

(Settings => "About phone" => Status )

- as the SIM number before my "previous 'phone" number was PAC'd and ported...

The PAC transfer happened about 3 weeks ago.,...

The phone appears when calling anyone else as my transferred number, rings when called as the transferred number, ... but the beast reports the original, old" number. As it happens I've also done a "Factory reset" on the N1 ...

Weird... so everything works as it should do, but the number is miss-reporting...

Any suggestions...e.g. ????
    a) It's just one of those things, deal with it..
    b) It's a known Android bug, deal with it...
    c) It's a Nexus-One special, deal with it...
    d) Oh! New one, report it to Mssrs Google...
    e) HTC dogs all behave like this....

Cheers!

Lodger

PS Just ordered and received an Amzer retractable USB micro cable thingy...
    Amzer Micro USB Retractable Data Sync Charge Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
    really neat,

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

I'll eventually sort itself. Mine did that when I jumped from Orange to T-mobile.

Took a week or 2 before it correctly showed on my N96

3. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

It's your SIM, my Voda one has the same sort of thing (no number at all). Some phones will program your number into the SIM, so ask to look at a few mates ones and you might be able to sort it.

4. kaotix

kaotix Well-Known Member

I have a Samsung phone for this very reason! When I got my first iPhone and the new o2 sim, the iPhone wouldn't say my number in the contacts list. So I put the SIM card into this old Samsung phone I have which lets you edit the number on your SIM card. You can literally set it to anything but obviously I only wanted it to show my phone number.
    Once you save it and swap the sim back it will be fine. I'm sure if you took the SIM to a shop someone could do it for you.
    I think mine is a Samsung D500. Proper old school :D

5. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Mine says "Unknown" - doesn't bother me.

6. kaotix

kaotix Well-Known Member

I just got a new o2 SIM card yesterday and mine says Unknown on that SIM card too. Doesn't bother me but it's odd that they don't see it by default.

7. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

theartfullodger likes this.
  8. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

No point telling HTC about it, it's the SIM cards fault, not their hardware's.

9. EmmaL

EmmaL New Member

Not sure that it's a SIM problem but you're correct, it's not an HTC problem.

Most likely the routing entry on your carrier's HLR hasn't been updated correctly. What (network) response do you get if you enter *#100# (then send)?

That will report the number the network thinks you have, if this is wrong it's an HLR problem, if it's correct it's a SIM table problem that can be fixed with a new SIM or a SIM "flash".

The phone number can be wrong on the network whilst you can still make and receive calls - the MSISDN is not the only (or even primary) means to route a call on a GSM network.

PS - Never manually edit the USIM on the actual SIM card, this can royally f* up your billing.

10. theartfullodger

theartfullodger Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

after entering *#100# then (? pressing the green handset symbol....??) I get ...
    is it just *#100# ??

Thanks for your advice anyway,,,,EmmaL

Cheers!

Lodger

11. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

*#100# (then dial) works fine for me.

Even on my old SIM that showed my phone number as my voice mail number *#100# displayed the correct number.

12. murdros

murdros Active Member

@theartfullodger I went ahead and tried the same thing on mine and got the same error you did. I'm not having the same problem as you are but thought that it could help seeing as it isn't only you getting that error.

13. JWhipple

JWhipple Well-Known Member

I just stumbled upon this thread while researching the same issue. I also am getting the
    Connection problem or invalid MMI code error message.

I found one app that actually requires the phone number to be programmed, it's a Push-To-Talk type app called "TIKL", TiKL - Touch To Talk (PTT) v1.5 Application for Android | Communication

When I try to get this working on my Nexus One I'm SOL.

Ironically though, when I got the SIM it was brand new with a Motorola Cliq and it also could not display my phone number.

14. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

I used an older Sony Ericsson phone (K550i) to reprogram my SIM, was simple enough to do.