• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My phone was lost/stolen

Qamar1

Lurker
Dec 13, 2013
Hi,

I lost my samsung s3 3 days ago and think it may of been stolen!....is there any way of tracking it. I did not download any tracking apps while it was in my possession.

I read it's easy to do a system hard reboot, which takes the phone to how it was when first bought. If this is done by whoever has my phone is there still a way to track it???

Please reply ASAP thanks!

For android device manager to work the phone will need to be still signed into my gmail account. But a hard factory reset will reset this. So will this option work? As a hard reset will send the phone back into the state it was when I first bought it :(

FunkyLogic....I fear the same :((

Upvote 0
If it is hard factory reset, there is not much you can do but report it stolen.
Your carrier will then black list the phone to prevent it from being activated anywhere else around the world. But you'll still be out of a phone. (Hope you had insurance on it...)

At least with it blocked, no one can reactivate it, and they'll be forced to only make menial profits on it selling it for parts... :/

Sorry.

Upvote 0
Its not just samsung. Every device will have a way of resetting without booting up.
If you root theres better options. You can install an app as a system app so a factory reset wont touch it. Theres ones that will alert you when the sim card is changed and send you the persons number for example.
The number one problem with anti theft apps though is that the police (in my country anyway) dont take them seriously. if you track down a theif you really have to take the law into your own hands. Me and my friends had to when a friends phone got stolen and we tracked it down. The police just give you an "incident number" for insurance purposes

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones