• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My phone's MMS behaviour

Dryden

Lurker
Aug 6, 2014
I have always believed MMS to be a faulty protocol or technology. I never studied it, but I think it is extremely flawed and have always avoided it.

Yesterday I sent someone a rather lengthy MMS text message.

After sending it, about 3/4 of the message (as it was displayed to me) looked normal, and the final 1/4 appeared in a white font on a light background, as if to indicated that it had not successfully been sent or transmitted.

The message also did not indicate a "received" icon status.

Could anyone indicate whether this is really a correct interpretation? I don't know anything about MMS, but how could the delivery possibly succeed for 75% and then fail for the remaining 25%? And how could the phone or app also be aware of this? And what does this mean for the receiving end?

Did the receiving end get a cut-off or truncated MMS? I cannot check with that person at present. In the past, I have often received truncated SMS messages. Today, never. It is dreadfully annoying if your messages do not make it through, but even more so, and quite disturbing, if you also cannot tell what exactly took place.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones