My pictures are getting "grayed" out! Need help!Support

Last Updated:

1. chicagoandroid

chicagoandroid New Member

Wondering if anyone is having this problem - I take a picture on my phone, turns out great, then I go to access it later, and half the picture has a grey block over it! I don't have a photo editor installed and I'm not cropping the pics. But it keeps happening.

Is this a defect or am I accidentally hitting something? Any help would be appreciated, as I've lost a couple of photos that I'd like to get back!

2. Natalievo

Natalievo Member

Could you take a screen pic of this so we can see?
  3. chicagoandroid

Image is attached. For some reason, there's a gray block that appeared out of nowhere, covering up the majority of the pic. Any suggestions??

Attached Files:

4. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

Why did you attach a PDF and not just provide a few photos via image hyperlink!? :confused:

Also are you using the stock software for the camera or a third party app?
  5. breezex

breezex Well-Known Member

Looks to me that the write to SDcard or Ext-SDcard is failing about halfway through. Where are you storing the pictures? If to the external SDcard then try re-seating it, if that does not work a reformat, and if that does not help then a new card. A reboot is always a good idea too.
  6. chicagoandroid

I attached a pdf, rather than the hyperlink, because I didn't know how to use it! This is my first time using a forum. And a jpg was too large of a file.

I am using an external microSD, where all my images are being stored to. The picture actually came up fine the first few times I looked at it after taking it, then just one random time, it went gray.

I'm wondering if there's any thoughts on how to correct this photo or you think that re-seating / re-formatting the SD card moving forward is the best option?
  7. shotinthenads

shotinthenads Well-Known Member

Take the card out and take a few picture to see if it does the same thing. I too think it is your card. Is it a good card-not a China knockoff? Someone will correct me if I am way off base, but it was my understanding that when you take a picture it resides initially on the phones memory while it writes to the card. This is why it may look fine when you take it but fails writing to the card. I had a card fail on my camera and it looked similar.
  8. breezex

breezex Well-Known Member

Too many unknowns for a "real good" solution. Are you viewing this photo on a PC or the phone, only one photo out of many corrupted, did you unplug the usb before a write or update was finished, what app did you use to view the photo, is the photo still corrupted, on and on, ....

If it were me, I'd just copy everything from the SDcard, re-seat it, reformat it, copy everything back to the SDcard, and try a whole bunch of photos that are throw away to see if the problem looks solved.

Worse case, trash the SDcard and buy a new one.
  9. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

I had a full size SD card go bad in a point and shoot camera. About 15 vacation pictures looked just like the one you posted. It's a bad SD card. You can try reformatting it, but I wouldn't trust it. Just get a new SD card.
  10. chicagoandroid

Thanks a lot everyone for the feedback - I'll try to copy the pics to the phone and then use the SD card again, but it's likely that it's a bad SD card.
  11. Sorentoman

Sorentoman New Member

I am getting gray pictures when using my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0(GT-P3113) to take pictures. Happens about 75% of the time and only affects the rear camera, the front facing camera always works. Talked to Samsung about it and they were clueless. My brother told me his is doing it too! ( Same model) Samsung had me do a complete reset but that didn't make a difference.
  12. smarthuman

smarthuman New Member

I had the same problem. Took scores of pictures of a tiger while on safari, but all came solid grey. Luckily doing a 'Reset' from the camera settings itself fixed it , but i had to be satisfied with some shots of deers.
    Please note i don't have an sd card.
  13. HighSierra

HighSierra Well-Known Member

Seems like another issue with S3 and external micro sd cards.

I've had similar situation on a few pics that were ok originally but came up bad later. I've also had S3 complain about SD card going bad, but still able to reformat.

Also have seen other posts about issues with S3 and micro sd cards. I've had it complain about 2 different 32 gb Micro SD cards. Lexar brand from FS.

Yesterday couldn't play mp3's from phone. Player said it didn't work with that format file. Also couldn't play via kies. Something corrupted all files on the SD card, but S3 still thought card was fine. Couldn't delete any files either so had to format.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread. I was going to post about my issues when I saw this thread.

I'm on JellyBean, but had issues on ICS as well.