My plan

Last Updated:

1. xvenom89

xvenom89 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am going to upgrade to this phone. Wondering: will I be forced to buy the data plan, or is it optional? I already have minutes and unlimited texts on my family share plan. Any other charges?

Advertisement
  2. justinlindh

justinlindh Member

I'm under the impression that the $30/month data plan is required for this phone. Honestly, I'm not sure why you'd want this phone without it anyway. A significant portion of the functionality relies on data.

3. ayce

ayce Member

Yup you will have to. All smart phones on verizon require a data plan.

4. MarvinAndroid

MarvinAndroid Well-Known Member

Why would you want this phone without a data plan? It would be completely useless without data. That's like 95% of what the phone does.

5. bluenik25

bluenik25 Well-Known Member

I think Verizon requires you to get the higher priced plan if you plan to sync with Exchange. I think it is $45.

6. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

Well, this phone w/o the data plan is still >>> most other phones non smart phones.

So even if you used data rarely (and were charged per use) to get games and non-data using apps it would be better than a regular phone. It would almost be like an iPod Touch. It wouldn't be completely useless.

I'll be getting data when I get it because I want it and I have to, but I can absolutely see why some would want this phone without it.

Just out of curiosity, if you bought one off of eBay, would Verizon activate it without a data plan?

7. ayce

ayce Member

I'm pretty sure this is only for BES access on blackberrys. Winmo was only $30 so android should only be $30 also.

8. ayce

ayce Member

All smartphone activations require a data plan. They made this change about a year ago.

Verizon Forces $30 Minimum Data Plans on New Smartphones - Verizon Wireless - Gizmodo

9. justinlindh

justinlindh Member

Doubtful that they would. It's obviously in their best interests to push you towards a data plan, and many operations on the phone (even the search bar) relies on Internet connectivity (though I realize it would sometimes be available on wi-fi even without data plan).

You do have a point, though... with the wi-fi feature it would be a lot like an iPod Touch, which I use a boatload on wi-fi.

10. billd

billd Well-Known Member

It has wi-fi, so data would be available anywhere you have access to wi-fi.

I'm curious if it can do network traffic across the USB cable? I don't have wi-fi at home.

11. SSinisterSS

SSinisterSS Well-Known Member

i called verizon up and they said my connect 900 would work on the phone. i dont know how feasable that is.

12. billd

billd Well-Known Member