My poor HTC Droid Eris fell in ocean..now whatGeneral

Last Updated:

1. sugar&spice3

sugar&spice3 Active Member This Topic's Starter

i want to puke. dropped the phone in the ocean. only for a few seconds but i want to die. uggh. it's in rice now. would you dunk it in alcohol now? or wait a day or 2 to see if things work?!?!?

any other thoughts/things I could possibly do to save it?!?! :(

Advertisement
  2. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Seems like you're taking the right steps already. Take a look at the water damage stickers. Here's a couple threads you may want to review:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/77667-water-damage-sticker.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/101773-eris-survived-5-minutes-pool.html

3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

First, take out the battery. The uncooked rice is good too.

You are not alone :D. Here are some other threads with things folks have tried and done. Good luck.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/104766-eris-got-wet-possible-battery-problem.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/101773-eris-survived-5-minutes-pool.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/51828-battery.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/40782-eris-fell-into-sink-total-submersion.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/75197-booting-problem.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/59059-eris-went-through-washer.html

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

5. xx_bishop_xx

Whew, I timed that one perfectly. ;)

6. sugar&spice3

they're both white w/purplish pinkish x's on both the phone and the actual batter. not a solid color. is that a good thing? OMG I want to throw up. seriously can't believe i"m this upset :(

7. xx_bishop_xx

White and red x's=good.
    Solid red=bad.

You must have quick reflexes.

8. sugar&spice3

omg even though I had the 3 kids w/me in the water yes I (tired) to react super quick to get it. not sure if it mattered or made a difference but the body glove clip was on and it snapped off somehow, that's how it fell in :( I want to puke just typing that.

I think I got it in march/maybe early april of this year. Yes both water marks (at least the visible ones) looks just like yours. do i play dumb and bring it into verizon? we dont have insurance on it :(

9. srmccoy

srmccoy Well-Known Member

Probably a good idea to leave electronic devices in a bag on the beach or car in the future.

The biggest thing you have to worry about is salt. Salt will corrode the electronics, and rice usually doesn't pull it out.

10. surgeon0214

surgeon0214 Well-Known Member

I think you should see a doctor. Wanting to puke that many times can not be a good thing

11. sugar&spice3

too pink? not enough white background? not a good thing? what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

12. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Competing, are we?

13. xx_bishop_xx

Well, not in the traditional sense. I posted something that scary had just posted two entries above mine in another thread.

14. surgeon0214

surgeon0214 Well-Known Member

I think its a little too pink... I would take it into verizon if the rice doesn't work in a few hours

15. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

What srmccoy said.

Even if your phone comes back to life, it could go bad within weeks or months - the residual salts left after most of the water evaporates act as a moisture trap and also rapidly accelerate corrosion processes. It is very hard to know what kind of saltwater exposure the unit suffered - so, you could get lucky and the phone will survive until your normal replacement lifetime of the phone ... or not.

Water is actually used to rinse circuit boards after they are assembled - for 98% of electronics, pure water is not a hazard, so long as power is not applied to the circuit when the water hits it. But - there's the other 2% of electronic components - things like microphones, speakers, etc which can be damaged by water exposure, and there's other stuff in you phone you might not want getting wet (the camera lens system, autofocus drive, etc), so I can not say that I would advise you to pull the battery and dunk the whole phone in distilled water.

In the hands of a skilled technician, it might be OK to disassemble the phone and locally clean areas which are obviously contaminated with salt residues; but that's not something that should be undertaken by people that don't have a lot of good tools and a strong mechanical aptitude.

The stickers won't tell you what the future holds for your phone - they are there so that VZW can detect when their customers are obviously trying to defraud them with false warranty claims. And in the case of saltwater - if you got any inside the phone, it will be trivial to observe the residues no matter what the stickers indicate.

As for protecting your phone when at the beach - a couple of weeks ago, I had an ocean fishing accident where I was swept into 10+ feet of water in the surfline - wearing heavy boots, waders, and no PFD. I was swimming against the surf for perhaps a minute or so. My Eris was in my shirt pocket, and survived the ordeal because it was inside a ziplock bag - inside yet another ziplock bag. In hindsight, though, it was probably me that should have stayed in the car. I could have died, but my phone would have been fine! (I wouldn't trust just a single ziplock bag though - I killed a different phone years ago in a different fishing situation, by trusting a single ziplock.)

Good luck with your phone.

eu1

16. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

at least you didn't drop it in the toilet like i did when i had one lolz

17. random155

random155 Well-Known Member

I think you need to trim your nails dude...

18. Tspace

Tspace Member

A local repairman might be in order, check Craigslist. Good luck! I didn't even know that's what the stickers were for, my 3 yr old washed mine briefly in the sink. Works just fine after a day in rice & a hair dryer to really get in there. But that wasn't saltwater either, that's what I would worry about most.

19. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I'm gunna jump to conclusions and guess that he plays the guitar

if not def cut those bad boys lololol

20. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I"m going to jump to a different conclusion and say that is 'her' hand, not 'his'.

To answer your question, yes I think some alcohol would be in order. That salt water is mighty corrosive stuff, you'll want to do everything you can to usher it out of the phone.

21. xx_bishop_xx

And sea salt is lower in sodium than table salt.

22. random155

Dont ever jump to conclusions.... Its a common fact that everyone on the internet is a dude, until they post a pic of themselves in their underwear.

23. carmendiva

wow

24. random155

Was a joke... youre supposed to laugh? Im not funny...I'll try again later.

25. carmendiva

lol...oh there u go haha