My Pre-Kitchen and Fresh 1.1 experience.

Last Updated:

1. nathanotis

nathanotis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

In a word, this combo is *awesome*. Very easy to install once I figured out the .NET issue with my windows pc (just needed to update the .NET stuff, @ windowsupdate.com, pretty easy), and very easy to use, though it sure would be nice if the "Kitchen Tutorial" section of geekforme.com was completed. I'm a clicker and tweaker by nature and I knew I couldn't screw up too badly (just flash it back to stock and start over if things turn sour) so away I went. There really is no need to fear with this (pre) Kitchen set up.

The auto-root was FAST and very easy. Pulling unwanted applications and pushing files to the device, also simple. Even swapping the theme and lock screen was pretty easy. A good, solid tutorial on the site (which I understand is in progress) would have helped, but there are good people in this and other forums who are happy to help if one gets stuck.

I had rooted my phone previously and removed many stock applications, so I did not notice as large of a performance jump that most do coming from a stock device, but it seems a bit snappier, post Fresh.

I have noticed that my battery seems to be draining quicker post Fresh. I charged fully before bed, placed the phone in Airplane Mode and set it on the table. When I woke up this morning, the device had dropped to 50% in 6-7 hours of no use. I don't recall seeing any threads talking about speedy drain post root/fresh, so I'm looking into it. There are no apps installed that I didn't have on the phone before I noticed faster battery drain, save for those installed with Fresh.

I'd say it was due to me playing with it more, but I was sleeping... Unless I'm fiddling with it in my sleep... The phone shows an up time of 8hr 27min with an awake percentage of 81%. It seems I've missed something that's keeping the phone awake. Suggestions?

Tanks.

Advertisement
  2. jmcnicho

jmcnicho Member

I had the battery problem as well. I reset the phone and the battery seems to be doing ok. It happened for me after I user the tethering program, I tried stopping it but it didn't stop. I used my task killer (close everything 2) to close it but the battery still died quickly (so maybe tethering wasn't the problem). Anyways the reset seemed to work for me. Good luck with the fix. -john

3. nathanotis

John, when you say reset, are you talking about a battery pull? Cause I've rebooted and battery pulled and I'm not seeing any change. I haven't used the tether app and I may uninstall it as I don't plan to use it.

Thanks.
    n.

4. jmcnicho

jmcnicho Member

I just turned the phone off and turned it back on. No battery pull or anything

5. nathanotis

Ok. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.

6. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

Airplane Mode eats your battery as well...

7. nathanotis

?!?! Lucy, you got some 'splaining to do..... If I understand correctly, airplane mode turns off any radio/wifi/bluetooth, whatever... Makes the phone dormant, more or less... How is it using more battery?

I've also just realized I could use Spare Parts to see what's keeping the phone awake... Right? Anyone well acquainted with Spare Parts who could help me find what I'm looking for?

Thanks.

8. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

Yes it does all that, but I've used it and it did kill my battery quite a bit as well...

9. nathanotis

I never even thought of that. I'll try simply turning my WiFi and radio off tonight. Airplane mode doesn't keep my phone awake, though. Still looking for a solution for that.

10. gulu

gulu Active Member

i don't see the big improvement in performance everyone else is seeing. Things actually seem slower unless i kill some apps through task killer.

11. nathanotis

Well, today my awake time is down to 15%. So it could of been a mixture of some issue that required a reboot and the fact that I was fiddling a LOT immediately post Fresh install. That issue being resolved, I'm extremely happy with the entire process and will recommend it to Hero toting friends this week.