• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My replacement N10 arrived but keeping my original one

peaches1998

Nov 13, 2012
A few days ago, all of my Chrome bookmarks disappeared and I was unable to get the tablet to keep the Synch setting on so I could not restore things. After some frustrating time with Google support, I was offered and accepted a replacement under the 14 day return policy.

Later on, with nothing to lose as the replacement had shipped, I did a Factory Reset and my ability to synch returned. Once I signed in to my Gmail account, most of my apps were automatically downloaded. Not all, though but some of the non Google ones. I then added many things while waiting for the replacement. Signed in, etc. which took a while.

Dolphin synched and loaded my bookmarks as did the Boat browser once I reestablished the Synch.

The replacement N10 came today, and synched during the initial setup and just downloaded my Google apps but none other. It was going to be a hassle for me to download and sign in to so many more apps that I just decided to keep my original N10 which was fully functional now and cleared it with the Play Store to return the replacement.

So why doesn't the tablet load all of my apps that are under my Google account in the Play Store?

Shelly

As someone who's owned multiple phones and tablets, not once have apps automatically downloaded. And I prefer it that way since there are phone apps that are wasted on a tablet and vice versa. However, some claim there apps do. I've never looked into that much as to why. I think it had to do with the Nexus 7. Perhaps Google set it up that way.

When you activate a new device to your Google account, it makes a new entry. So only apps installed on that device show up. Think of it like adding a new person in the house. Everyone has the same address, but different social security numbers. All the apps you've ever used are shown in the play store, but only the ones you chose to install are associated with that device.

Now if you do a factory reset and reactivate, it should immediately recognize the serial number and redownload all the apps associated with that device. But if you add a new device with different SN, it shouldn't. So I think everything is working the way it should.

For example, I just bought a new tablet a few days ago. I activated it with my account and the only updates in the play store were for apps that came preinstalled, like maps. In the play store, I saw all the apps I've ever used under the "ALL" tab. Under the "INSTALLED" tab, it was basically empty. I just went down the list in the "ALL" tab and hit install for all the apps I wanted to install to this new tablet. Took about 10 minutes

Upvote 0
I appreciate the helpful answers. This forum has been great and I hope to be able to contribute as well as just asking for advice.

My original tablet continues to work well. Synch is still remaining On, haven't lost any bookmarks in Chrome as I did earlier, and am really enjoying the Android platform which has all of my favorite apps available in the Play Store. Not sure why so many reviews complain about the lack of apps.

I've set Dolphin as my main browser and use Boat to view Flash video streams like Amazon Prime movies. Using Appinstaller app, I was able to download the Amazon app store as well to take advantage of their daily free app offers.

I still cannot figure out how to set up a Contacts list or Adress book in either my Gmail account or my regular Comcast email account with email addresses so I can ask Google to send an email to someone for me. Can anyone help me with that?

Thanks again.

Shelly

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones